Volume fading in/out...is it my amp?

IndyJared

I have a Sony STR-DG720. I was pushing a really cheap set of $100 speakers before upgrading to:

KSC-C1, KSB-3.1 (fronts), RS-3s (rears), and a KSW-200. These are 10 year old speakers, but I couldnt resist buying this set (my first set) of Klipsch instead of another set of speakers in a box. The sound quality is excellent, but when I am listening to a movie the volume fades in and out abruptly. I have had to turn the volume level on the reciever higher than I had with the other speakers. I know the previous owner of the speakers had a top of the line Denon that he drove these speakers with. Perhaps I am at the limits of my Sony? I worried for awhile that maybe the 15A circuit that my stuff is on might be a problem, but it has never tripped. Thoughts? Any help is appreciated.

-Jared

Just a stab in the dark, but some AVR receviers have a "night" setting where they will keep the volume from spiking loud (gunfire for example). My Harman Kardon has that feature which can be toggled from "off", "half", to "full". In the "full" setting I can notice the volume dip to compensate, some movies are more exaggerated than others depending on how it was mixed.

Play around in your menu options and see if there is something similar you can tweak. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the input everyone. I think I figured out the problem. I dug through the menus on the AVR and found that setting I had the speakers set on was a Dolby PL 4 channel setup even though the AVR recognized my center channel. I think that the center channel was basically cutting in and out. After I switched to a 5 channel movie setting everything works well. I never noticed this issue with my old speakers. Of course I also didn't get an adrenaline rush when watching a movie like I do now! My new used Klipsch are the best money I've spent in a long time. Thanks!