Heard a pipe organ recital today

Small church here in my hometown, about 50 people in attendance, and a young organ player who has taken it upon himself to perform the complete Bach organ works over an 18 concert schedule this year. The one I heard was #5.

It was a relatively small pipe organ, but very well balanced sound. The end of the room was specially designed for this organ, as the organ was located just before the building was built in 1977. The walls at the end of the room curve out from the back of the organ. I did a quick check, and the curves were in fact tractrix in nature. [;)]

It's nice to hear real instruments up close. It really helps me as I'm evaluating the reproduction of those instruments on the equipment I restore/build.

Other than my butt falling asleep on those wooden pews, I had a great time. I was actually the first one there at the church and the church organist (not the one who played the concert) was there and I got to see the backside, pipes, swell chamber (I think he called it), and the blower unit. Other than the electric motor that made air, everything was mechanical, from the keys to each valve on the pipes. Pretty interesting machine.

Greg

Greg, I have been active for over thirty years with the Museum Society that maintains a Wurlitzer 3 manual 11 rank theatre pipe organ, opus 1143 that was originally in the RKO Keith's theater in Syracuse. When the theater was torn down, the organ was moved to the New York state fairgrounds. Concerts are held 7 times throughout the year. It is a real pleasure to listen to the organ, especially since it is well maintained and all original. I have tapes from lots of concerts, if you would like to listen to it.

Frank

Other than the electric motor that made air, everything was mechanical, from the keys to each valve on the pipes. Pretty interesting machine.

I believe that is called a "tracker action". The beauty of this type of organ is that it can give the performer a greater sense of touch or feel for the action. Note however, that the more ranks that you pull into the manual, the greater force that is required to depress the keys.

J.S. Bach was said to initially test the organs that he was using with all stops open/pulled at once to see if the organ had "lungs". The story goes that sometimes this required Bach to use his elbows to depress the keys since the tracker actions in those times were not as well designed as today's tracker instruments.

Also note that someone had to pump the air chamber (wind chest) while the performer was playing, and that could be a rather aerobic activity...

Chris [8]

I'm certainly not an expert on this type of instrument, but have had the opportunity to hear the Spreckles organ in San Diego at Balboa Park several times. The instrument is housed in a building dating from the San Diego World's Fair, the keyboard is newer, of course. The sound in an outside environment is simply amazing. In my locale (St. Louis) there are occaisional church based organ recitals that I think about attending. Check out the web site for the Spreckles in San Diego, Sunday afternoons, free concert in the park.

Greg, I have been active for over thirty years with the Museum Society that maintains a Wurlitzer 3 manual 11 rank theatre pipe organ, opus 1143 that was originally in the RKO Keith's theater in Syracuse. When the theater was torn down, the organ was moved to the New York state fairgrounds. Concerts are held 7 times throughout the year. It is a real pleasure to listen to the organ, especially since it is well maintained and all original. I have tapes from lots of concerts, if you would like to listen to it.

Frank

There seems to be a devote following of pipe organ enthusiasts out there. I think they appeal to people who are musically inclines, and also gear-heads!

I would love to listen to the tapes, but I'm afraid I don't have any tape machines set up right now.

After the recital, at the reception, I was talking to the organist who played the recital and he told me that he's had a difficult time finding recordings of pipe organs that provide the real sense of being there. I have a CD of someone playing a pipe organ, Bach's music, and it really lacks dynamics, and the low end is very weak. I'm sure there must be some good recordings out there.

I intend to check out a couple other recitals by this organist here in Maine over the next few months.

Greg

Also note that someone had to pump the air chamber (wind chest) while the performer was playing, and that could be a rather aerobic activity

Slaves or prisoners probably! Down below, in the sweltering heat, with the masters whipping them on!

Greg