Need Help with my HT

lotloggin

I am in the process of building a hometheater and need some advice.

Here is what I got so far;

Klipschorns L/R fronts

Cornwalls L/R rears

Going for the Sharp DLP projector

Center Channel, I originally was going to use another pair (or one) of Cornwalls that I have, but they are to tall and will interfere with the screen. So I am now thinking about using a pair of JBL Control Monitor 4300 series as the center (only because I already have them). Although I am not sure how well they will match, does anyone know how compatible JBL/Klipsch are? Another question I have is what is the best HT receiver to use with these speakers? I am already way over my budget so I have to keep the cost pretty reasonable. I am looking very hard at the Marantz SR7200, I am hoping the 105 watts per channel will be enough power to drive each speaker sufficiently. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Center channel is extremely important in HT. It has to be a good timbre match for the front left and right. IMHO your only good choices are going to be members of the Klipsch Heritage line speakers: Belle, LaScala, Cornwall, Heresy, etc. Assuming similar vintages, they all have the same tweeter and squawker driver. Differences are limited to crossover to woofer and relative efficiency. The closer you are to matching your Klipschorns, the better. But a Heresy can do a good job with a good subwoofer. Or you can just use phantom mode and forget the center channel if the Klipschorns are reasonably close together.

IMHO your JBL monitor will not be a good match. If you are at all a critical listener, the difference in timbre between the Klipschorns and the JBL monitor may be very annoying.

BTW you will need a good subwoofer for your HT, if you don't have one already.

thanks for your input Malcom. I agree the JBl probably won't work, it was more of wishful thinking on my part. I am still kicking my self for selling a pair of Heresy's I had. The Phantom mode is definitely an idea I will try. As for the sub I was going to wait to see how it sounds without one first, plus it will give me time to get some money together. I was thinking about a middle of the road Velodyne. Do you think any of the current Klipsch center channels will work, or should I strictly look for something in the Heritage line?

Thanks again

Lotloggin

Hi

I also am building a home theatre using K horns.

What I plan to do is to use either a La Scalla or build my own center channel using a K400 midhorn and a K77 tweater. I need both of these speakers to acheve perfect midrange imaging completely across the front of my HT.

Dont compromise or you WILL be disappointed overall!!!!

My 2 cents,

JM