Need help with my brand new Klipsch Sub

jmcgraw84

Hi guys,

Thanks for taking the time to read my post. I'm brand new to home audio and I really need some help.

I bought a new home that already came with JH Audio Speakes wired for 7.1 in my house. The receiver that I'm using is currently a Harman Kardon AVR 635. Just yesterday I bought a new subwoofer ( Klipsch KSW-10 ) from Newegg.com. I hooked the sub up to the *LFE* hole? Anyway, the sub is hardly putting any sound out whatsoever when I hooked it up. Can someone please help me on what I need to do to actually get some bass out of this sub?

Please let me know if there is anymore information needed.

Thanks very much for your time.

Sincerely,

Welcome to the forum. You may need to check the settings in your receiver. Is the subwoofer turned to "On" or "Yes" or "Sub" in the bass management (Audio setup) screen? Can you play a test tone through your receivers calibration section and hear anything? Is the gain (volume) turned to at least 50% on your sub amp? Do you have the sub cable hooked to "Sub In" on your sub amp as opposed to "Sub Out"? Is the power light on the amp illuminated? Did you do a manual calibration or ret the receiver do the calibration when you set the system up?

Really check carefully the bass management settings on your receiver. You may have to dig into the manual some. First check your speaker configuration settings to be sure the receiver is set to subwoofer-on. Then you should find somewhere a choice between 'LFE" or "L/R + LFE" or some such. If you choose "LFE," the receiver will send to the sub ONLY the Low Frequency Effects signal it senses from, say, a movie soundtrack that has such encoding. Dependng on the movie material, there may be little or no LFE. If you set it to "L/R + LFE" the receiver will send all low bass material on all input material to the sub. The difference should be quite noticeable.