Thinking about an upgrade........wondering?

Hey guys

A true speaker lover here with a question: I own Forte and Kg4's from the Klipsch line, and Apogee Duetta Signature and Apogee MiniGrand from the Apogee line.

I'm thinking K-horns next......is a 25' wide room to wide for these? (25'x 21.5'x 9' room) ...............they need to go in the corners right?

Early fishing

Thanks................Dave

• Your 9 foot height will be helpful. Klipsch recommends a ceiling at least 8.5 feet high, and Heyser in his famous and balanced (mostly positive) review of the Klipschorn (in 1986) said that they would be expected to sound best in a room that had a high ceiling and thick rug (to avoid too early reflections from the tweeter, that would arrive before the midrange). There may be other reasons Khorns thrive with higher ceilings, having to do with a greater expanse for the bass waves to spread out.
  • They need to be pushed all the way into the corners with at least 4 feet of unobstructed wall to the right and left of each Khorn, One magazine in the past said 5 feet would be better.
  • Whenever you go from one excelent speaker to another, you gain something and lose something, IMO. Many expensive speakers have flatter frequency response, but I have never heard ones that sounded as convincing with highly dynamic passages. The tam-tam, tympani, and big bass drum in Copeland's Fanfare for the Common man can produce a wind that flaps people's pant legs and my desk goes out of square during the moments of greatest impact. This was before I added a subwoofer. The sub goes lower, but is not as clean and tight as the Khorn, so sometimes I don't use it.
  • If you get new Khorns, a La Scalla II would be ideal for a center speaker.

From the K-Horn Manual . . .

What You Need to Know About Installing Klipschorns
The Klipschorn® requires corner placement because the walls of the room serve to complete the speaker’s low frequency horn. To achieve full low frequency extension, the Klipschorn® should fit tightly in a corner without baseboard or trim interference and the wall surfaces should extend at least 25 inches beyond the side grilles without obstructions. The Klipschorn is equipped with rubber wall seals to ensure airtight contact with the wall.
Ideally the corners should be at least 8’ but less than 20’ apart with the ability to place the listener at least as far back from the plane of the speakers as they are apart. In situations where the Klipschorns will be greater than 20 feet apart a proper stereo image may not develop between your speakers. A third speaker, such as the La Scala II, can be installed in between widely spaced Klipschorns and fed a mono signal to compensate for this: