Tales from the Klipsch: Hi-fi horror stories

4tay

One time I bridged my amps and was running 1600 watts into my speakers. They blew. No party...... No beer. Just retarded sometimes, I guess. Huh?

In my case, it's usually lack of sleep. If it's a busy workweek, and I get a couple nights of 2-3 hours my motor skills and concentration go south. That's when screw ups happen.

I had just gotten my Klipschorns. Man, was I stoked! I was trying to rearrange my crowded living room to at least hook them up to my system (big ol' bookcases occupied their ultimate cornered homes). I had a Kenwood KD-500 turntable fitted with an Infinity Black Widow arm and a Shure V15 type III. This turntable sat on a 2' X 2' X 3/4" slab of sandstone, which sat on 4 handballs, each in a rubber furniture cup. While I was wrastling the left Khorn into place, I bumped into the turntable, causing the handballs to roll right out of the furniture cups, taking the turntable and slab to the edge of the table where it flipped perfectly, upside down onto the carpeted floor. So there was the Kenwood, upside down with the slab resting on it. The result was that the Black Widow did not survive, but the turntable, and more incredibly the cartridge and cantilever were unfazed!

Photos (and related story) here.

Epilogue: I still use the slab/handball/furniture cup system, but have since siliconed the balls to the cups, making a much more stable set-up.

One time I bridged my amps and was running 1600 watts into my speakers. They blew. No party...... No beer. Just retarded sometimes, I guess. Huh?

In my case, it's usually lack of sleep. If it's a busy workweek, and I get a couple nights of 2-3 hours my motor skills and concentration go south. That's when screw ups happen.

4tay, I've been meaning to welcome you to the forum! Great Photoshop skills, good stuff! So, you're out here in the Bay Area? I'm up in Whine Country.

4tay, I've been meaning to welcome you to the forum! Great Photoshop skills, good stuff! So, you're out here in the Bay Area? I'm up in Whine Country.

Thanks for the welcome. I am glad someone appreciates my visual aids. I USED to live in whine country*, about 47 miles from Pixar and Mythbusters. I currently reside in hi-fi hell, in the nether region between Wasington, Idaho, Oregon and a bunch of nothing.

Reading your tale... (no kidding) I felt my dangly bits cringe and want to retract back inside. That's scary stuff!

* Incidentally, I really like Stags Leap. I was totally unaware that it won in France (1976), beating everyone as depicted in the movie "Bottle shock." Alan Rickman is great as usual.

I still use the slab/handball/furniture cup system, but have since siliconed the balls to the cups, making a much more stable set-up.

Good to know should I ever get around to building a much needed turntable base so I don't dump my Dual and Shure V15 type 5 mr onto the floor.....

Now I'm paranoid about ripping off the cantilever [:S].

No destruction of Klipsch but I had a pair of Advent Marbl's out by our above ground pool hooked up to a 5 x 125 watt Carver amplifier running in 2 channel mode where it's supposed to deliver 180 watts into 8 ohms and is capable of delivering some serious current. It was our oldest daughter's 16th birthday party and I went to tell our neighbor who was out to let us know if things got too loud (by the way I think those Advents did better than their rhymes with hose) and one of the kids put on Aretha's "Respect". And it sounded much better than I thought those little speakers would ever sound and much louder than I thought they could play but being stupid I listened to the rest of "Respect" with my neighbor. Bad idea. They next put on some Sum 41 (EMO music they tell me) - sounded like total distortion kind of like everything turned to 13. Maybe 2 steps and the bass/midrange drivers stopped. Maybe 2 more and the tweeters stopped. As I had a couple of pairs of these (I got them very cheap) I put up a second pair being the good dad that I am but taped off the volume sliders on the Rat Shack DJ mixer in use which seems to have a pretty high output level anyway.

I've since acquired a pair of Klispch CA-5T which will be out by the pool and I'd cry if they got burned up and come to think of it, they're responsible for my Hi-fi horror story.... being a bit uh careless or klutzy such as when I knocked a supposedly used but by all appearances brand new CA-5T off of it's box on my workbench onto the concrete floor of the garage.

This is what happens to a CA-5T when it hits concrete from 3' or maybe 4' away (for those of you that can't get to the link).

CA-5T-beat-up-grill.jpg

CA-5T-busted-transformer-monts.jpg

CA-5T-busted-woofer-basket.jpg

(and it's a bit fuzzy but you can see my lovely thubnail that our pastor's daugher accidentally shut the front car door on while I was climbing out the back window)

I still haven't called Klipsch parts to see if I can get a replacement driver. Somebody told me they don't make them as just replaced the whole speaker if failed - I hope that's not the case. I have since this repaired things with plastic epoxy and so far they've worked fine in the garage ... not at all pretty but sounding fine....

CA-5Ttransformera.jpg

CA-5Tbassrepair.jpg