parasound

gamer

Went to good guys yesterday and picked up a parasound hca-1000a rated at 125x2. I had my heart set on the ATI basically because I liked the looks but ended up getting this amp for $370 brand new with 10 year warranty. This amp doesnt have the power monger looks of ATI or bryston(and may not be as powerful) but I had the option to bring it back if it didnt best my Denon reciever also rated at 125 a channel, so I figured I had nothing to lose. Another part of the story when we first went to good guys (wife,kids and self) the $370 was for a open box with a few scratches on it; not bad but not new. Ended up leaving to see what kind of deal I could get online, the best I found was about $450 plus shipping. Had the itch to try it out and figured what the heck. My wife actually went to pick it up for me and they ended up giving her a brand new on for the 370 I thought that was cool and it was there last on other than the open box. Got this hooked up and I was impressed with this little amp that could!! It trounced my Denon big time alot better sound and much bigger bass. Man this thing does sound clean. Just wanted to update all who helped me out on going with a power amp. This amp may not be the end all in amps but damn it sure did make a huge difference, as big as the upgrade from my sony prologic reveiver to the Denon. Thanks for the help!

I've got a 1000A running my rear channels. They run in Class A up to 1.65 watts and Class AB above that. I have a 1203A running the front 3 channels. It's a very similar amp, but rated at 140 x 3. They sound great and are very clean. You should like it.

John

Gamer,

Congrats on the new purchase and enjoyment of your amp. I've been going around and around pondering what amp to purchase. I've looked at the two-channel Bryston (power and longevity to include 20 warranty) and the B&K 2220. My concern is with my KLF 30s at 100+ db would those be too much power. What type speakers are you using with your amp? For the price that you paid for it, it will be really hard to let that deal get away.

EE

B&K makes a fine amp. I owned a pair of B&K Sonata M200 Monoblocks for years. I will have to say that the Bryston "ST" series would be a definite step up in some ways and would probably recommend this over the B&K if you HAVE to go solid state and those are your two choices. There are other good amps around.

Quality tubes will serve the music better to the extent that you will probably never turn back to Solid state, even TOP NOTCH SS gear, but only you can make that choice.

kh

------------------

Phono Linn LP-12 Vahalla / Linn Basic Plus / Sumiko Blue Point

CD Player Rega Planet

Preamp Cary Audio SLP-70 w/Phono Modified

Amplifier Welborne Labs 2A3 Moondog Monoblocks

Cable DIYCable Superlative / Twisted Cross Connect

Speaker 1977 Klipsch Cornwall I w/Alnico & Type B Crossover

system one online / alternate components / Asylum Listing f>s>

Mobile,

I have heard a lot about tube amps on this and other forums, but to be honest with you, I wouldn't know where to start. Can you recommend some sites to quench my thirst to learn more about them? The debate between tubes and solid states is debated as much as speaker cables.

What price range does a decent tube amp start at? Can I use this in conjuction with a HT setup? The tube amps that people have mentioned are only about 50 wpc, what will this do for my KLF 30s musically that a 250 wpc solid state can't? Lots of questions but I want to know, I'm not trying to get you going.

EE

easyeyes

I think you will be very happy with a parasound amp. Im running KLF10s with it and let me tell ya everyone whoo has heard my system has been impressed. One buddy who is in to stereo equipment says I have the best system hes ever heard!! With the potential of those 30s I welcome you to surpass me in audio show off. I heard alot about Denon prior to my purchase (being smooth and warm) and compared to my sony prologic it was, but a few CDs still sounded not so great(lacked bass, couldnt really get the woofs to bump unless I turned bass knob all the way up then I didnt like the sound, some cds still came off a little bright and harsh when cranked up (rock in particular). Ive heard reading other forums that good speakers will reveal recording that are not top notch and I had a hard time with that but was living it.Let me stop and say Im very happy with the Denon just think for music amp is the way to go. This amp makes all my CDs smooth no sign of harshness anymore, and the bass is set at a 4 now (with Denon was an 8) and I still get cleaner bass and more of it,sub is turned down from -2 to -4 and still fuller sound. If you want you could get a better model than the HCA-1000a (more POWER) but for me this baby takes my speakers to levels I would never dream of staying at even if I was in the backyard. This amp is nice. Im kinda like you and dont know too much about tube amps, but I do know good sound and for the 370 this baby cost me I couldnt ask for more. I listen to all kinds of music from rock to rap and everything in between (not much country though but I bet it would sound awesome) and it handles it all nicely. Ive had it crazy loud and never hit the overload( I chickened out with the volume knob at about -5 on my reciever).

For music Im a 2 channel guy.

My systen is as follows :

Denon 4800

Parasound hca-1000a

Sony 333es CD player

KLF10s

C7

SS1s ( looking to upgrade someday but fine for now )

Paradigm PW-2200

Sony es DVD