Looking for info on AVID speakers

George2002

Just found a pair of AVID speakers model 102. There in great shape they have butereal surrounds on the woofers they are a two way design and have 10"woofers and what looks to be a nice dome tweeter, on the back the tag said made in USA inspeceted in 1979 by xx. I know alot of you on this board have been in audio a lot longer then I have been and may have heard of or know about these speakers. Were they good in there time? Were they high end? Would love to hear whatever be it good or bad about them. Thanks for you help! George

PS Sorry for the repost but didn't get many reads on the general forum. Thought this would be a more appropriate place to post this question. And yes I do own and love my Klipsch speakers! Thanks Agin! George

AVID speakers are the spawn of Acoustic Research, KLH and Advent designs (like a tri-breed hybird). You might be able to get more info on these by looking at Acoustic Research, KLH and Advent speakers from the 70's, hopefully finding one that looks like the AVID speaker that you have and getting its specs.

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

A technical help site created by me and my fellow Klipschers

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150s>

The Avid line was highly regarded in its time. As I recall they were considered to have a slightly warm sound. They were a decent speaker - If somewhat underwhelming. I recall hearing a complaint from a friend who said they were a tad "dry" which does not fit the description above but these recollections are coming from a way back in the memory files as it were.

A quick web search unearthed a reference to a review published in 1975. The review itself was not available on-line.

------------------

It is meet to recall that the Great Green Heron rarely flies upside down in the moonlight - (Foo Ling ca.1900)

This message has been edited by lynnm on 03-24-2002 at 08:43 PM

UPDATE on the AVID's! But first. Thanks for the info guys! Ok finely got a chance to clean them up and go over them to make sure they didn't have shorts or something that may hurt my receiver. Checked out ok the only thing I found wrong was the fusses for the domes were blown so replaced them. They sound great; open,brite, very detailed,forward, lacking some in bass.But that's no biggie with a sub. Anyone else with some more info would be great. Just need to know before I decide to modify or alter them in some way.What got me thinking is the butyl surrounds on the woffers you just don't see that in cheap speakers! If they are of audiophile quality in brand it may be better just to keep them original.What do you all think? Thanks George

i have a contact who can get you a review of the Avid 102 speaker, but he will not give me anything on it unless i pay him $5. i will do it if you want.

BTW, prime of their exposure was ~1975

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

quote:

Originally posted by George2002:

justin, Thanks but no I don't think it should cost anyone anything to read that review. Thanks George

i agree, but it you want, i will pay if you think it is worth the info Smile.gif

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

ProMedia help you want <A HREF="maimailto:Promediatech@Klipsch.com">email Amy</A> or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

This message has been edited by justin_tx_16 on 03-26-2002 at 05:03 PM

If the Butyl surrounds are in good shape - I suggest that you leave them as-is. The various drivers in those boxes are specifically chosen to give as flat a frequency response as practicle.

Two equally excellent quality woofers from different manufacturers,(or even within a given manufacturer's lineup), will have different frequency response characteristics and efficiency ratings. Substituting drivers would likely negatively impact on the speakers' overall tonal balance.

------------------

It is meet to recall that the Great Green Heron rarely flies upside down in the moonlight - (Foo Ling ca.1900)