Surround speaker help

mbr311

So you can see in my signature what setup I currently have. I hven't even had the chance to put up my S-1 surrounds so i have no idea how they are. However, I have seen great deals for RS-10s and even RS-35s. Both are reference line and seemingly would go with my system better. I was thinking about putting the S-1s up on ebay, I've seen them go for as much as $150 used ($300 brand new). If I sell them for $150 I'm pretty sure I could find at least a pair of RS-10s for that price used if I am patient. Or should I wait and buy RS-35s that are specifically made for my current setup? I haven't really messed with surrounds to be quite frank so that's why I'm asking. If the S-1s are perfectly adequate with my setup then I will go ahead and keep them, but if you guys think it would be worthwhile to sell on ebay and save up for RS-10s or RS-35s I would gladly do that as well. I have done without surrounds for years so I don't HAVE to put the S-1s up, it's not that big of a deal for me. The reason I got them to be totally frank is because I got such an amazing deal on them. And when I do set them up, should they be used as side surrounds or rear surrounds? I know that's a noob question but I've never had a 7.1 system so I don't know, technically the way I'd set them up in the room would be sides. I could possibly use a pair of Polk bookshelf speakers as rear surrounds but I have a feeling pitch, tone, etc.. won't match so its probably not a good idea to use those, frankly I can use them with my old Yamaha receiver for a 2.1 setup in my garage and finally have a decent system to jam to out there. Thoughts? Thanks!

Mark

• Moderators

What happened to this? You are just looking for trouble aren't you. [:P]

Why upgrade when you haven't even heard the S-1's? No need to get the Mrs. upset anyways. Hang them, try them out, if you feel that they are lacking, then sell them, save your money and get the speakers that were meant for your system.

No you misunderstood the post. I wasn't going to sell the S-1s and buy something new/used right away, I was asking if I should just sell the S-1s and pocket the money and then down the road when thoings were better pursue the speaker that goes better with my system. Or if the S-1s were "satisfactory' for my ststem then just keep them and not worry about it for a long time. Does that make better sense? Trust me I'm not going to push it with the misses its not worth it.

• Moderators

Trust me I'm not going to push it with the misses its not worth it.

Smart man. [:D]

I've not heard the S-1's so I can't comment. That's why I suggested try them out. If they are lacking, then consider upgrading.

I have SS3s.

(Simialar speaker; mine are larger; slightly older).

I believe these were specifically designed for side surrounds. They project higher fequency sounds off to each side; and the mid/lows directly towards the listener.

I kid you not; we often are fooled by a door knock sound; or a doorbell; or a phone ring; etc.

I think they are excellent for HT. Not very good for music; as there is no sound stage.

I say try 'em! Do not even need to hang permanently....... Get those 3m sticky hooks......

Good Luck!

I have SS3s.

(Simialar speaker; mine are larger; slightly older).

I believe these were specifically designed for side surrounds. They project higher fequency sounds off to each side; and the mid/lows directly towards the listener.

I kid you not; we often are fooled by a door knock sound; or a doorbell; or a phone ring; etc.

I think they are excellent for HT. Not very good for music; as there is no sound stag

I say try 'em! Do not even need to hang permanently....... Get those 3m sticky hooks......

Good Luck!

Ok they will be mounted directly to the side of my listening area so that makes sense. The mids/lows will be shot directly at the back of my head and the higher frequency sounds will be shot the other directions so on port towards me and one away (if that makese sense, just think of the woofer pointed directly at the back of my head that should make it easy to understand how they're going to be set up). That's cool that things like doorbells fool you that's exeactly what I want in my system that I don't feel like I have right now in current form. Don't really listen to a ton of music, I'd say it's 80-20 in favor of movies/TV to music so that's a good point as well. Thanks for the feedback that was exactly what I was looking for it sounds like I'm going to enjoy them and that's a good idea about using 3M sticky hooks before putting a plate into the wall, shoot I can run the wires over the carpet and jsut test it out without going into the crawl space and fishing up the wall and see how I like them then go the full distance. Thanks!

MBR,

You are welcome. If you are going to sticky hook it; make sure the hooks are rated for your speaker weight. (I used double to be sure).

I think mine weigh like 15 pounds each; I went ahead and permanently mounted as I really liked the sound and placement.

I do a lot of music; but I do 2 channel only for music (Heresies with a sub).

I would not expect the world from this; but you should see nice results.

Good Luck! Let us know how it goes........ [H]