Replacing center with RC-64?

aakrusen

Current setup is weak but it makes sound:

Onkyo TX-SR608 (got it yesterday, replaced SR705)

Klipsch SLX fronts

Optimus center (4" drivers and tweeter, weak)

JBL sides (4" driver, also weak)

Boston Bravo II rears

Klipsch RW-10 sub

I'm looking into putting some money in my center channel and I'd like to make the whole setup Klipsch. I'm able to get a good deal on the RC-64 Klipsch center
channel but I want to know if the speaker will make my system lopsided.
Is it too much speaker and will it completely overpower my SLX fronts?
Would I be better off with the RC-62? I'll eventually upgrade the rest
of the speakers but I was told that the center channel is one of the most important speakers so make it a good one.

• Moderators

Welcome to the Klipsch community. My suggestion would be to figure out which Klipsch System fits within your budget, size constraints, lifestyle etc. If you are considering purchasing the RF-63 or RF-83 fronts down the line and you can obtain the RC-64 at a great price now, I'd say get it. If you will use your system for a lot of movie watching, the RC-64 is an amazing speaker. Clarity, dynamic, powerful....it's worth every penny.

With that said, will the SLX be able to keep up with the mighty RC-64, my guess is not. The good thing is that you can always turn down the center to help compensate until you are able to upgrade your main speakers.

Here is my final advice. Listen to as many Klipsch setups as you can (forum members, local dealers etc) and see what satisfies you and fits within your budget. Then begin to move towards that system, even if that means piecing it together over time as funds become available and deals can are found.

Finally, if you want a great HT, don't skimp on the center or the sub. Get the best that you can afford.

The 63's or 83's would be ideal but I'm going to try to be realistic and say I'll most likely get the 52's for the fronts. With that said, is the 62 more of what I should be buying or can I stick with the 64?

The sub I have is decent but I'm thinking of adding a second sub since my receiver is now 7.2. Would a second RW-10 be a nice addition or should I sell the 10 and get a single 12" instead?

Because of where I live, sampling Klipsch speakers is not an option. My Bestbuy does not carry the reference line so I have to go on opinions. I've seen your comments in other threads and you appear to have a good bead on what would work and what is not going to have a good result.

Are there other centers I should consider? I'd like to get away from the SLX/RVX line and move to a complete Reference line.

A little more info: Dedicated room with complete light control, Mitsu HC5000 Projector, DIY 106" "blackout cloth" screen, faux velvet curtains on the both sides of the room for asthetics and some accoustical effects. I'm currently working on accoustic panels to help make up for the lack of quality speakers.

• Moderators

The 63's or 83's would be ideal but I'm going to try to be realistic and say I'll most likely get the 52's for the fronts. With that said, is the 62 more of what I should be buying or can I stick with the 64?

If you take a look at the link I provided, you will see that the matching center for the RF-52's is the RC-62. The RF-62's are matched to the RC-62. It is "best" if you build your system according to those systems put together by Klipsch because the speakers are timbre matched to each other. This is also a good idea so that you don't have one speaker that either overpowers the other or can't keep up.

Example: Best Buy used to have the RF series in their demo room. They had the RF-82's hooked up with a RC-52 and the RS-42's. The RF-82's sounded fantastic with the demo but the RC-52 clearly could not keep up with them. Dialogue wasn't clear and out in front like it should be.

The reference series is a great series. Be sure to check your local Craigslist. You might be able to find a great deal on an older RF-35 system (similar to the RF-82 system). If I remember correctly, I picked up a pair of RF-35's and RC-35 for $600 awhile back for a friend of mine.

Adding a second sub can bring with it acoustic challenges (so I've heard). I personally would rather have one bad sub than two lesser subs. I picked up my current Velodyne HGS15 (15" sub with 1250 watt amp) in black piano finish for $200 on craigslist. My point is that the used market is fantastic right now. You've gotta be looking constantly. Check craigshelper.com as well.

What is your budget for speakers?

Thx for the additional info as well but now that you've let the cat out of the bag, we want to see some pics. [:D] You are off to a great start. Take your time, look for smokin deals on Craigslist and enjoy the process of building your HT.

Budget is about $1000 for the two front speakers and the center speaker. I'll have more money down the road but I won't likely have a good chunk to put towards speakers. I was trying to get the important speaker purchased and then build off of it. The more research I do the more I realize that the 64 would bring bragging rights but I don't have the power to adequetly power the speaker and I most likely won't be buying the 83's in the next few years. So I've been looking into the RC-62. The 62 can be paired with more speakers that are in my price range (current and future) plus it leaves more money to put towards the fronts and the better sub.

The theater room is a bedroom in our basement that is about 13' x 16' with a walkin closet and sort of a cubby hole next to the closet. The server tower is flushed with the curtains that go across the front of the closet and over to the tower. Behind the tower and curtain is storage for the DVDs, Blurays, Games, and a racing chair for the upcoming Gran Turismo release. So I tried to take some pictures of the room but the lens on my point-n-shoot Sony is not wide enough and apparently I have a dust problem. Behind the curtains to the left of the projector is a 4' x 3' egress window. I have a board covering the hole in the ground, decent blinds, and then the curtains. At high noon the room is still black. The light in the ceiling is blacked out on one side so I can have it on slightly but not wash out the screen. The majority of theater owners route their wires through the walls and have proper lighting but this is a bedroom and we believe the house will be more marketable if a coat of paint changes the whole room back into the fourth bedroom in the house. I know that not everyone wants a theater room so making this room quickly reversable was the best option. Early on I had plans to tear out the closet and make the room "long" with elevated rear seating and run the wires correctly but that dream faded when the costs were realized and mosly because the fact that it would not be a bedroom anymore. The whole room screams budget and that's what I'm on. I'm about $3500 in the equipment, furniture, and essentials. You say to keep an eye out for deals and that's basically how I got this far.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

• Moderators

Now we are talking. Pics and details help a bunch. The RC-62 is a very capable speaker. Matched with the RF-82 would be a fantastic front stage. One thing you will need to determine is how large of a speaker can you implement on your front wall? Will the width of the RF-82's fit between the door and the screen? Will it allow you to toe them in slightly to improve imaging?

Yes they'll fit but I'll have to walk around the speaker every time I come into the room. I went with the SLX speakers because of the wall mount and "clean install" they provide. With floor tower speakers I'd loose valuable realestate since the room is small.

My Bose lifestyle system convinced me that I don't need to have large speakers to get great sound. However, it also taught me that one system does not fit all applications and that Bose does not offer enough flexibility for people like us. So I switched back to seperate components.

I've read other comments about the Klipsch speakers liking to have some power behind them. I'm not in a possition to purchase an amp like what you have but will I need it to make these speakers sound good?

You're 608 will handle an RC-62 and RF-82's just fine! I ran my front soundstage off my Integra 6.9 (100w/ch, just like your 608. Actually, they are VERY similair receivers) for a few months and it held its own.

Now, did the sound improve once I added the Outlaw? Yes. Was the sound really good (especially on movies!) before the Outlaw? Yes.

Amps can come down the road.

+1 on the RF-82/RC-62 front soundstage.

Jrod

In my reference days I came to the conclusion that the RC 64 may just be the best center on the planet for anything near a reasonable amount of money. It is one of the best speakers in the entire klipsch lineup. Find a good deal and buy it.Make adjustments in other areas until you can upgrade to match it. I ran mine with RF 3s for several months. Had to monkey with the HT reciever for a couple of days but No problem. made me sick to sell it when it no longer matched my heritage speakers. Buy it now before you change your mind. You will not be sorry. My 2 cents worth

the RC 64 may just be the best center on the planet for anything near a reasonable amount of money.

Can't argue with that! [Y]

Like Youth said, there are crazy deals on Craigslist, you just have to be patient and diligent (check ALL the time). And, like winchester said, if you can come up with a 64, do it, you will never regret it. My front soundstage was had for your budget (I also had to drive across the country, but, I've never regretted it once!!).