Finally coming back to Klipsch...maybe

bismarck

I joined this forum in 2007, when I bought my first surround sound. It was a Klipsch Synergy system, and I thought it was the best thing since sliced bread. But, then I broadened my horizons and listened to some Definitive Technology speakers. I really liked the more mellow sound of them, as the Klipsch had given my ears some fatigue at higher volumes. So, I purchased some BP7006's (which I still think are great speakers...eventhough that may be blasphemy on these forums). Now, I am ready to upgrade again and have my eye on two different systems. I need some direction from the Klipsch experts to guide me here, because I can't audition the speakers.

System 1) Definitive Technology. Mains: Mythos STS Center: Mythos 9 Surrounds: Mythos gem = 4,355.00

--This system has built in subs and a sound I know I like from my current speakers

System 2) Klipsch. Mains:WF-35 Center: WC-34 Surrounds: WS-24 Sub: WX-500d x2 = 4,876 MSRP

I think the klipsch look great, and I am sure the subs would blow the pants off of the def techs. But here is my bigg concern, the taditional Klipsch sound, the bump in the highs, doesn't go over too well with my ears; however, I listened to the WF-34's and they didn't sound harsh at all. I have heard the new horn is a little bit more mellow than the other series, like the reference, which are way too bright for me. So here I am, back at the first brand of speaker I started with wondering if it is time to go back, but I am not nearly as experienced as most of the people on this forum so I need a little advice here. Thanks!

You should buy what sounds best to you.

It was suggested to me several years ago to audition the Def Tech speakers, I had my Forte speakers at the time. When I listened to the Def Tech's I thought that there was a blanket covering the speaker since I was use to the horn sound from my Klipsch.

Since then I have bought the RF-7, RC-7 & RS-7 home theather speakers. The RF-7's had the DeanG crossovers and I recently upgraded my RC-7 crossover with the same components in the DeanG crossovers. This crossover mod has taken the edge off the horn and is very enjoyable to listen to.

I don't know what type of home theater equipment you have or are auditoning but mine as a feature that you can connect a mic and run a calibration which will adjust the speaker to the room. You might consider setting the audio video receiver to "flat" so that there is no trebble/bass boost to allow you to compare the speakers more accurately.

I have had the entire Icon line here at my home for some time and still use the little WB14 in my bedroom. I can say that they are less 'strident', in-your-face, or harsh as Reference or Heritage speakers. Very neutral well-haved highs. Probably blends better with other brands of speakers better than other Klipsch because of this.