MY Home Theatre Page

Sony STR-DE975 HT Reciever

Sony DVP-NS400D DVD

SB-3 Mains

SC-1 Center

Quintet Rears

KSW-12 Sub

AR Proseries Interconects

What you see are Model H700, not Model H, speakers. I have a pair two years older than these. Same tweeter and squawker as all the Heresys up through the early 80s. Woofer is a late cast frame variant of the Electrovoice SP12B. Can't see the network model in the pictures but I assume it is a type C because my 1965 and 1972 Heresys have type C.

Although the woofer looks cooler that later woofers used in Heresys, IMHO it sounds just like the CTS and other woofers used in the later models. For a look at the same woofer in plain clothes, do a search on eBay for "Electro Voice SP12B." You should find some reddish brown cast aluminum or stamped steel frame woofers. They are the same thing. If any of the Heresys have better bass than the others, I think it would be the last ones. Now if the H700 had the SP12, which had a much bigger magnet than the SP12B, there might be a difference. But that is not the case.

Are they rare? Not really. They show up from time to time on eBay. The original Heresy, the Model H (not the H700s you are considering), appears to be much rarer. It has a University tweeter and squawker driver, and less bass output than the H700 or later Heresys. But, I have seen a couple of these on eBay, too.

Are they a good find? I always consider Heresys a good find at the right price. I bought my 1965 set on eBay for $185. If you looking for a set with Type C networks to Heresys you already have with Type C networks for a HT system, and the price is right, I would consider this a good find. If you are trying to match later Heresys with Type E or E2 networks, I would pass.

FWIW one potential downside of purchasing speakers this old is that depending on the environment they have lived in the woofers may need to be reconed. New cones are no longer available for the SP12B from ElectroVoice. So, if it comes down to a recone, it will have to be with a generic cone.