Rf-5 bi-amping noob

robygom

hi, i own RF-5 speakers and i always used them with a standard 2 amplifier (2 channels).

I had the chance to have another identical amplifier and i thought of bi-amping the RF-5. My idea is to use one pre-amp, and connect with a Y cable two amplifier, one for each speaker.

I removed the bridging cable in the back of the speaker and measured the resistence of the LF, which is something like 4 ohms, but i can't measure the resistence of the HF, the instruments is stuck on I (infinite) whatever scale i put. Is it all right?

On the manual of the RF-5 it's written that the speakers sounds better with BI-WIRING, but they don't write anything of BI-AMPING.

Moreover, do you suggest one amp for each speaker (vertical bi-amping) or one amplifier for LF (R and L) and one for HF (R and L) (horizontal bi-amping) ? Will i notice any difference? (someone speakes of more power, more dinamics ect ect)

Maybe this will help...

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/135423.aspx

I think that you will need an active crossover in order to actually bi-amp. One commonly used low-cost unit that works is the Behringer DCX-2496.

Moreover, do you suggest one amp for each speaker (vertical bi-amping) or one amplifier for LF (R and L) and one for HF (R and L) (horizontal bi-amping) ? Will i notice any difference? (someone speakes of more power, more dinamics ect ect)

I typically recommend one stereo amplifier per speaker, i.e., LF on one channel, HF on the other channel, when the amplifiers are identical units

There are instances where you might use different types of amplifiers - in those cases, I'd recommend driving the HFs of both speakers (assuming 2-channel operation) with the higher quality stereo (or two mono-block) amplifier(s)

Chris

If your RF-5 crossovers are set-up for bi-amping you can use a Y cable with the existing crossovers which is passive bi-amping. I do this with my Forte's and drive the woofers with a solid state amp and the mids/highs with a tube amp. I also connected my RF-7's with my 2 channel system and the tube amp makes the highs very smooth.

If you are going to passive bi-amp I recommend a tube amp for the highs. If you are going to use the same type of amp for the lows and highs I would recommend saving your money and go with just one amp.

the only way to bi amp is to remove the jumpers on the binding posts and remove the internal cross over and supply an active cross over. doesn't matter how or what you send to the speaker the klipsch internal crossover will continue to do it's work if in place. If you add an active cross over in before removing the internal crossover you gain nothing as it still will reach the internal cross over.

I've both bi amped and bi wired my rf 5's in the past and could tell little if any difference, i think i heard what i wanted to. I upgraded my amplifier and acheived better results with both my rf 5's and rf 7's.

give it a shot and see if you like it. It's cool to tell people you have your speakers bi-amped (even if it's passive bi-amped). Dealing with the extra wire's got to be a pain.

The rf 5's are a great speaker and will shine with good equipment.