Record store find - Thorens

Was at my local record store sorting through the $2 stacks. The store does have used equiptment and noticed a turn table stored in a place of honor. Noticed two names that are highly regarded on the forum, "Thorens" and "Grado". I usually mull larger purchases over, do a bunch of internet investigation, but decided to provide the table a new home. After a quick listen at the store, I was pleased, and the deal was struck.

An over view picture.

post-33301-13819585144406_thumb.jpg

Need to replace one of the hinges that is cracked. But other than that in perfect working condition. Very pleased with the sound, more bass and more solid bass than my AT cart. Very detailed along with an "effortless" sound. Maden record was "Man with the Horn" by Miles.

It has a been a long time since I set up a turn table, any recommended resources with a set up procedures? Just set the geometery, stylus down force, and anti skating, right? I plan on ordering a set up record, any recommendations?

post-33301-13819585150486_thumb.jpg

The Grado (maybe a Grado Black?) appears wonky in the headshell, although I'm not familiar with that arm. It may be an optical illusion. If it's off by as much as it looks, it would sound terrible.

Yes, did have to adjust the head shell and get the Grado parallel to the table before playing. But the image of the cart close up was due to the camera not being even with the turn table.

So I have been reading up on Grado cartridges. The desingation of the model is based on the color of the two dots on the stylus assembly? These on this one are silver, so is this a Grado silver? I can't seem to locate an exact image of this cartrage