Okay to remove slant riser base off the Heresy III's?

Radmanna

Hello.

Planning on a 3.1 system, using three H3's as the L/R/C speakers. It is preferred to have the speakers elevated about three feet above the floor, to the left and right of the TV. The elevation is preferred, so as to have the sound traveling level ... from living room and over furniture ... and through the adjacent kitchen. Sound quality would not be as good in the kitchen area, if the H3's were on the living room floor.

I don't know if the word "buffet" is a Northern term (I'm from Arkansas), but I purchased two "buffets" which are designed to complement dining rooms. The buffets each have several drawers, and have two open shelves in the bottom center of each buffet. These buffets are made of thick pine slabs, and the table-like top of each buffet is solid pine wood that is 1.75 inches thick.

The buffets are each five feet wide, three feet high, and 19" deep. I would like the speakers to be level, and not pointing upward. Would the thick pine slabs of these buffets provide a good resonance-base for the Heresy III speakers, if I take the slant riser base off the bottom of the speakers?

Also, each buffet is 19" deep. The H3 speaker is 13.25" deep. To have maximum sound quality (i.e., no blockage of sound waves), would it make a difference if the speakers had its back edge aligned with the back edge of the buffet ... versus ... if the speakers had its front edge aligned with the front edge of the buffet?

Steve

• Moderators

Sure, I don't see any problem removing the riser. Just hold on to it, I have removed the risers on some of my klipsch also, to lay them down or to set them on other speakers and didn't need the extra height.

I concur with dtel: I removed my Heresy III risers immediately so I could use the same holes to mount homemade flat plates made of plywood, which allowed me to attach the pivot collars to the bottom of the speakers and hang them on our On Stage wall brackets in our garage. If I want to use them on the floor or (heaven forbid) sell them, I saved the original slant risers (cradles) and screws and it'll be a simple matter of reinstalling them back into the original holes. -Glenn

post-10177-1381958530468_thumb.jpg