Anyone here seen the Sharp XV-Z9000 DLP projector?

Kain

If so, how do you like the picture quality? Did you see any rainbows? Did you get any headaches?

I am asking this because some people get headaches after about 10 mins of viewing a DLP projector.

------------------

Home Theater:

Display: Sharp XV-Z9000 DLP Projector

A/V Receiver: Denon AVC-A11SR (European version of Denon AVR-4802)

DVD Player: Denon DVD-3800

Center: Klipsch RC-7

Mains: Klipsch RF-7s

Surrounds: Klipsch RS-7s

Subwoofer: SVS CS-Ultra w/Samson S1000 amplifier

I was fortunate enough to attend a demo of some dlp projectors, and with each of them, I could see rainbows when rapidly moving my eyes from one part of the pictures to the other. I don't know why that is. I didn't, however, experience the Sharp projector, but I'm guessing it's not exempt from that minor fault. The headache people are probably the ones that tend to move their eyes continually from point to point on the picture, because I didn't get any pain from watching when I stopped doing that.

so, when are we going to see pictures of your system? how do you like it?

------------------

http://members.fortunecity.com/sebdavid - go laugh at my crappy website/equipment

http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mc.asp?alias=Sebdavid - go laugh at my puny little DVD collection

This message has been edited by Seb on 03-26-2002 at 12:45 PM

The Sharp has a higher speed color wheel so you are most likely not to see rainbows. I read quite a few reviews and got comments from users and all say there are basically no rainbows on the Sharp. That's good news! Smile.gif

------------------

Home Theater:

A friend and I have demoed it repeatedly - he has actually spent about 6 hours watching it. I found the picture to be phenomenal but was made dizzy (headache) after watching it for 5 minutes. Distance from the screen seems to minimize the effect but I don't know if I could watch a movie for a couple of hours on it without a break - it is a shame because I wanted it.

He discovered no matter what the distance from the screen, after 20 minutes or so a headache was in order. He has decided he will downsize to a HDTV to avoid the headache.

------------------

Fronts - KG4's

Center - C6

Surrounds - S6's

Sub - KSW200

Powered by - YAM995

well, we sell this projector, and i haven't looked at it for any length of time. it has excellent picture quality,although i've seen video 'glitches' (could have been the dvd player). nice smooth picture.avman.

------------------

1-pair klf 30's

c-7 center

ksps-6 surrounds

RSW-15

sony strda-777ES receiver upgraded to v.2.02 including virtual matrix 6.1

sony playstation 2

sony dvpnc 650-v 5-disc dvd/cd/SACD changer

dishnetwork model 6000 HD sat rcvr w/digital off-air tuner

sony kv36xbr450 high-definition 4:3 tv

sharp xv-z1u lcd projector w/84" 4:3 sharp screen

Bello'international Italian-made a/v furniture

panamax max dbs+5 surge protector/power conditioner

monster cable and nxg interconnects/12 gua.speaker wire

KLIPSCH-So Good It Hz!

If I may suggest why a rainbow is seen.

My understanding is the the projector has the equivalent of a black and white transmission LCD with a white light behind it. Then there is a rotating color wheel in front of it. The wheel has red green and blue filters. What filter is in position has to be synchronized with the "black and white" picture corresponding to the correct color.

Therefore, the color image on the screen is a succession, in time, of red, green, blue images.

Now you can imagine a white spot in a black field is actually a strobing of red, green, and blue spots on top of each other against a black field.

If you scan across that spot with your eye, you may see a color smear.

I'd think the effect is limited because only the center of vision is sensitive to color. However, it seems that it can be seen in some situations.

You might ask if this is different than what we're used to with color CRTs or projection TV's. Yes.

With a color CRT we can see the matrix of red, green and blue blocks on the screen. This is evident if you get close enough or the spots are magnified by a drop of water on the screen.

In most projection TVs there are three CRTs with color filters. No wheel. The individual images are always "on" as needed. That is to say, if you need a white spot, all three CRTs are on and not strobing the spot. (Raster painting excluded.)

Gil

This message has been edited by William F. Gil McDermott on 03-27-2002 at 12:04 AM

How does the Sharp compare to the Sony VPL-VW11HT?

------------------

Home Theater: