Newbie here ... sorry if this has been asked b4 ...

Ib@nez96

If have an Onkyo TX-DS595 and I'm thinking of buying the Quintet HTS speakerset (center+sattelites+sub). Now I've been reading some of your post and the most I've come accros are the following:

- the speakers sounds great when used only as surroundsspeakers with movies

- the speakers make a hiss noise when pumped at a high volume with music

Is this true?

the quintet is just not up to par with the rest of the Klipsch line, that is why most of the use people make of it here is for rear effects purposes.

I would take a long hard look at Energy and their mini systems before deciding as well... or jump the step and go for some Reference bookshelves.

can't help you with the hiss, but I'm guessing that due to the horn design of the speakers, they could potentially amplify a hiss present in the receiver you use with it. in other words, the speakers are probably not producing the hiss, the electronics must be.

------------------

http://members.fortunecity.com/sebdavid - go laugh at my crappy website/equipment

http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mc.asp?alias=Sebdavid - go laugh at my puny little DVD collection

I must agree with Seb, the Quintets are something less than Klipsch's best line. Having said that they're probably good value for the money (you'll ghet what you pay for). You might consider some used (that's right used) Heresy speakers. Get 5 or 6 of them. One centre channel, two mains, and two surrounds. Make sure they're all of the same vintage so the drivers and crossovers are identical. This will insure a perfect tonal match. They can be had relativley cheap and will kick the %$#@ out of any Quitet system. Mate them with a decent sub and YAHOO....hold on to you chair!!!

Just my humble yet oh so correct opinion Smile.gif

Regards,.

Stu

f>

------------------

'81 Cornwall 1 mains B2 Crossover

'73 Heresy Centre

'78 Heresy Surrounds

Paradigm PW220 Sub Subwoofer (18 hz)

Marantz SR8000 AV Receiver

Hitachi 53" RPTV 53SBX59B

Sorry, I forgot to comment on the hiss thing. Most definitely a product of a poor amp. I can only speak for my Marantz SR8000. It's inredibily qiuet even when mated with super efficient Cornwalls. It's really quite remarkable.

Regards,

Stu

f>

------------------

'81 Cornwall 1 mains B2 Crossover

'73 Heresy Centre

'78 Heresy Surrounds

Paradigm PW220 Sub Subwoofer (18 hz)

Marantz SR8000 AV Receiver

Hitachi 53" RPTV 53SBX59B

I agree with mayo master Seb and Stu Pid A$$ on this one.The Quinetets cannot be cosiderd as any serious HT or music speakers they work great as uppscale PC speaker with KSW12 sub.But for HT or music,no.

Try and get at least the Synergy series(SB-2's are a great start and huge step up from Quintets).

Of course I would point towards RF-3's,even start with just the mains and upgrade as budget permits.Its night and day

Mr Stu Pid A$$,

"Paradigm PW220 Sub Subwoofer (18 hz)"

18Hz huh,at what output? Under 95dB LOL

TheEAR(s) Now theears

I also would agree. When I originally started to look at upgradeing, I first looked at Klipsch. The salesman steered me towards Energy. After several sound tests I went with RF-3's. I did unfortunatly go with the Energy Encore 8(wife liked it's smaller size & as per normal in these things made the choice). I am now looking at replaceing the Sub with something better from Klipsch. Go for the best fronts and add the best components as the money trail allows.

Rcvr Denon 4802

RF-3

RC-3II

RB-3