Upgrading my (new) Heresys

I just bought a pair of 1984 heresy 1s. Ive been told to change the caps in the crossovers. Is there anything else anyone thinks would improve these speakers? Also do you technical people agree with the advise about changing the caps? Ive wanted these speakers since 84 and finally got around to purchase. Thanks

Congratulations on the (new) speakers!

Have a look at the caps and then find some replacements at Parts Express of the same value. The Solens (PolyProp) are fine and do not cost too much. If you want to get fancy, you can bypass the cap (2nd cap in parallel) with a metal film cap (the Daytons are fine). If you want to get very fancy then spend heaps of money and buy very, very expensive caps that audiophiles always recommend.

The incremental improvement of this last suggestion is probably quite small. Search the threads for the suggested brands of caps. My suggestion of the Solen/Dayton is reasonably priced.

Personally, I would spend more effort on the speaker placement. For instance these should go on the floor and near a wall and/or corner (else you will have very little bass). experiment with the degree of toe-in, and where you chair is placed also. The differences will be quite audible.

Good luck and enjoy them. I think the Heresies are one of the great bargains in audio.

-Tom

Yes, fresh caps are the ticket to factory spec, at least as close as possible in the real world. Don't have to be expensive caps either. Stock caps were pretty plain Jane anyway. I've heard expensive caps and factory spec caps and there is not a nickel's worth of difference to my ears. Caps in a crossover just do not have a very hard job to accomplish.

Another option on caps is bob crites. You can find his caps kits on Ebay or you could contact him directly. His Klipsch ID is BEC on this forum.

I'd suggest just to enjoy your speakers returned to spec. After a while if you wanted to upgrade something, I find the CT-125 tweeter most realistic sounding. Check with Bob about that, too. This is an eminence tweeter which he has mated to a custom horn so it is a drop in replacement for the K-77.

I say sit back and listen to them for a while and see how you like them. Before you make any modifications you need to have a base on how they sound.

If in a few months you want to try a few mods, then first decide where you want to start. Like already mentioned, caps and tweeter changes can be made.

I had a pair of Heresy I that I had for almost a year before I had Bob Crites switch the caps for me.

James