KLF 30's vs Electrovoice Sentry IVb??? (Mcintosh Amplified)

blue22

Does anyone have experience with the comparison of the KLF 30s vs EV Sentry IVb? I have a pair of each and have to get rid of one of them. Initially I did not have good amplification for either speaker. I started out with a Mcintosh MA6200 (75wpc) and hooked the Sentrys up to it. Beautuful. But I thought 'I'm not convinced this is the best sound I can get'. I wanted to see how the KLF's sound when sufficiently powered (I didn't think the MA6200 would do them justice). So, I picked up a Mcintosh MC352 to power the KLF 30's using the MA6200 as a preamp. First of all, for some reason I thought the MC352 would be a huge step in clarity from the MA6200 due to the more recent technology and massive increase in power. What I learned was that the MA6200 is a damn clean amp. The MC352 provided more bass, but the MA6200 held its own in the mid and uper horns. Sencondly when the MC352 was hooked up to the KLF-30s the bass was deep, but didn't hit as hard as the Sentrys with just the MA6200. Point being when all this started I thought I was going to dump the Sentrys once the KLFs were sufficiently powered. The truth is, I prefer the Sentry - MA6200 combo with a sub (RSW-15) to the KLF-30 MC352/MA6200 preamp combo... Please with those who have experience with KLFs and Mcintosh let me know if I'm way off bass or if there are possible configurations adjustments that could/should be made to get a harder hitting sound out of the KLF-30s...

Is this what you have?

If so, would a more fair comparison be using the LaScala and the Sentry??

I would expect the sound from the KLF 30's (of which I've NEVER heard) to be different than LaScalas with each having its own strength (horn loaded bass verses 2 direct radiators)

I've got some EV Interface D's and love them. They're different than the Klipsch I've got but they still sound good to me (at least when the foam on them is not rotted out [:P])

I thought I always read that the KLF 30's were very hard hitting?

Sentry IVB EDS.pdf

Sentry IVB EDS.pdf