Haiti round 3

Well, I am back in Haiti for 3rd time since earthquake. Got in this morning. Have already been to hospital to see patients I will be operating on. It is so good to back over here. I have truly made some wonderful friends in the people that I am working with.

This time, my son, Me Loves Heresy's, came with me. He wanted to come first time, but it was more chaotic the week right after the quake. Things seem rather safe enough now.

So, the plane we will be flying out on from the island, a small prop plane, had an ooooopsies yesterday afternoon. The runway is nothing more than a gravel strip. And, as he was taking off, he did not pull up fast enough. Wheel crashed into tree, knocking the wheel off. He flew around for over and hour burning off the fuel. The pilot then brought the plane in and landed it without one of its back wheels! No one hurt, thank God.

Will try to update any interesting stories as I can. My son and I are having a great time!

Paul

• Moderators

Glad to hear everyones OK, Thank You, it's a great thing your doing, there is nothing on the news about Haiti anymore, the "news story" is over but the problem is still there.

Yes, sadly the news cycle has moved on to other issues by now. But it still looks the same to me as it did the week after the quake. I cannot tell that much of any clean up has taken place. Still throngs of people wandering in the streets. News media and our Army have now gone. Still lots of very very poor and very sick people over here though.

Just no longer is the 'cool cause' any longer. The world has already seemed to have forgotten. Oil spillage is the new earthquake now I suppose.

Paul

Oil spillage is the new earthquake now I suppose.

Oil spillage, Afghanistan & why are we there, continued high political tensions in a time of change/bitterly-fought loss of R power around elections, SC nominees, regulation issues in general including financial reform & investigations, health care reform, and energy -- you name it. No one likes frustrating lack of speedy solutions.

Got quite a bit done today. My son was able to help me in surgery today. He is thinking about being a doctor. Said he was worried he might not be able to tolerate seeing surgery. Instead, he jumped right in there. Held retractors, cut stiches, and even closed the skin with the stapler! Did not get woozy at all!

Also saw a 1 year old baby who was in the final stages of dying of AIDS, a lady with cervical cancer, and other difficult things that we simply cannot do much of anything about. They simply don't have the resourses to deal with those things down here. Makes it more difficult to practice, because I have had to learn about what there is to use equipment wise. Not as many meds are available either obviously.

I then gave a talk to the nurses and doctors here on this island. They were so interested to be hearing about new things. This small island has just been forgotten about, long before the earthquake. The people here are so wonderful though. Unbelievably grateful and kind.

Every time I come down here, I just remember that this is the reason I worked so hard through all those years of school. And leave feeling more rewarded than I do performing a surgery in the US for money.

So, more surgery tomorrow. Always quite an adventure down here.

Paul