New toob. Need some hook-up info plz.

oldmako

Helo Gents. This week I picked up a 42" Samsung Plasma at Best Buy. $500.00. Seemed to good to pass up. It's too small, but it stretched the hell out of my meager bank account as it was. So, I just have to suck it up.

Today Cox cable came and installed the miracle HD box.

My question is how do I get the SOUND to travel from the Box or TV - TO the HT receiver so that I can listen to the HD music channels through my boomers? I assume that it's a simple cable hookup, but I am clueless about what type of cable I need.

1. Can I assume that a simple two line RCA jack will work or am I smoking Ganja? I know next to nothing about HT. For now, I will be using my CF3s for fronts and an Academy center. I won't have rears due to the layout of my domo. Perhaps later.

2. Can I assume that there are easily recognizable jacks on the TV for OUT and likewise IN on the reciever. Or is there some miracle fusions technique involved?

I also picked up a Niles SPK-1 and will eventually wire that in so I can continue to use my main two channel rig when I just want to spin records or discs in the old fashioned manner. I have yet to acquire a suitable 12volt source for the switching. Not really sure about that.

3. Is that an item I can pick up cheaply at RatioShack or should I look on line?

Thanks for the advice. The TV manual is so far over my comprehension that I am seriously thinking about having myself institutionalized.

Run RCA cables from the HD box to your receiver if your receiver doesn't have any digital inputs. If your receiver has digital inputs run a coaxial or optical digital cable from your HD box to your receiver.

I ran the RCAs from the back of the TV to the INPUT TV/SAT on the amp. Selected TV/SAT on the face of the unit and still no luck.

I'm currently on the road and its not in my face so...I can't troublshoot any more till Monday.

Game plan is to download the Manf PDF (Sony) and look at what they suggest. I picked this thing up cheap on ebay with no manual, so I am a bit blind. The manual fof the TV itself is also a bit vague (at least to me) and I'm a bit of a dolt, so I'm in a swirling vortex of confusion. No big deal. I go through life like this.

Threre is one big honkin cable (6 way I thnk) that the cable tech installed betweent the HD Box and the TV. There are no audio outputs other than what he hooked up.

Sounds like a good opportunity to just chuck the old amp and get a new one! hahahaha (no fundage at this particular time).

Threre is one big honkin cable (6 way I thnk) that the cable tech installed betweent the HD Box and the TV. There are no audio outputs other than what he hooked up.

I'm guessing that tech ran component cables (3, RGB) to the t.v. along with r/l audio cable all in one cable. Does you t.v. have hdmi? If so, there is different way to run the cables. Let us know.

Frank

Thanks Frank.

I got it figured out. What made the most sense didn't work. This was due to operator / installer error (ME). I still had the receiver dorked up. Muting (which I never use) was depressed and I didn't notice it.

I ran a simple RCA jack from the HD box to the TV/SAT input on the receiver and all is well. I was rushing, didn't the manual and had to leave on a trip. I hoped that asking here would point out something obvious, or radically different. I'm basically a Luddite.

THANKS. Now I just have to get the Niles wired and I can make noise proper!