Home Theater Receiver for KG 5.5, KV-2 and KSW-10

miamijay

I am searching for a 7.1 or 7.2 receiver to match up with my KG 5.5 front speakers, KV-2 center speaker and KSW-10 Sub woofer (I am using off-brand rear speakers for now). Currently, I am leaning toward the Onkyo TX-NR708 but would like to get input from other Klipsch owners before making my acquisition. Thank you.

Welcome to the forums.

I have a set of KG 5.2s that I used as mains in my system.... it KILLED. (You will not need that sub.......my neighbors were not happy).

My Onkyo was a GREAT purchase.... not sure if you HAVE to have HDMI, if not save money and buy used......

Mine cost me $140. (100W X 7.1)

Good Luck.

Welcome to the forums.

I have a set of KG 5.2s that I used as mains in my system.... it KILLED. (You will not need that sub.......my neighbors were not happy).

My Onkyo was a GREAT purchase.... not sure if you HAVE to have HDMI, if not save money and buy used......

Mine cost me $140. (100W X 7.1)

Good Luck.

I had a set of KG 5.2s that I was very happy with. Used them with 3.2s in the rear and a KV-2 center. I was never happy with the KV-2 and ended up finding an Academy. That got me wondering what it would sound like between a set of Forte IIs and next thing I know I'm selling the 5.2, 3.2 and KV-2 to make way for my current set up of Forte IIs front and rear, with the Academy at center. If I had found a single KG 2.2 or a KG 2.2V center I think my 5.2s would have stayed around a lot longer. If you're happy with the KV-2 thats good, but if not maybe try to find some KG 2.2s and use one at center and see if you like it better. If not they would make great surround sound speakers for the system you've got started already and just put the KV-2 back in place.

I've had good luck with Yamaha. I've read a lot of good things about Onkyo on here too. Either would be a good choice. Make sure you get one with pre amp outs in case you ever want to add an amp down the road.

I disagree with Ironsave about the sub. A sub will improve the overall sound quality, especially in a HT set up. It will also take the heaving lifting off of whatever receiver you decide on which will leave more power for the dynamic peaks in music and movies and improve the SQ that way too. I'm in the market for a better sub than what I'm using now. I've set my Forte IIs to large and turned off the sub, and then used just one of my Sub 10s with the Forte IIs set to small and saddly the sub way is better. I say saddly because the Forte IIs have great bass, it was hard on my pride (or something) to set them to small but in the end it was better sounding, especially when watching movies.

I disagree with Ironsave about the sub. A sub will improve the overall sound quality, especially in a HT set up. It will also take the heaving lifting off of whatever receiver you decide on which will leave more power for the dynamic peaks in music and movies and improve the SQ that way too. I'm in the market for a better sub than what I'm using now. I've set my Forte IIs to large and turned off the sub, and then used just one of my Sub 10s with the Forte IIs set to small and saddly the sub way is better. I say saddly because the Forte IIs have great bass, it was hard on my pride (or something) to set them to small but in the end it was better sounding, especially when watching movies.

I am willing to try anything once.... (I will try small and sub when I arrive home today).....

I would say that yes, a sub can go lower than the speakers, my point was these speakers are very capable of producing a lot of bass......

(Poorly stated; my bad!)

Well, I bit the bullet and bought the Onkyo TX-NR808 last night and will be hooking it up to my system today. From the input received, it sounds like my next move is to replace the KV-2an d then go for a 300 or 500 to replace my KSW-10. Thanks so much to everyone for your time and expertise!

I am glad you found an excellent receiver......

Carbon, I tried small setting with the beloved Heresies, crossing at 40, 60, 80 and was not able to get as good of a sound as large.

My sub is in phase (completely IMO) with the Heresies, and just augments the sound they already produce. By setting small, now they no longer are getting anything below that crossover point...... (Perhaps if I had a kick arse sub, it would work better?)

For now.... it is large with sub......