How to save my awesomeness x10s!

Boberz3

I have been using my awesome Klipsch x10s for almost a year and 4 months now and I have to say, I love them a lot! I have used them very frequently, yet I was always very careful with them. During it's usage, I have found a couple issues listed in the other forums and tried to fix them myself. There was first the slits on the strain relief of the ear pieces. I did a decent job fixing it with some good old super glue. Now, there is a tear on the cable, right beside the left ear piece and I am very scared that the left ear piece might come right off the cable. Not only that, but the strain relief on the left ear piece seems to be deteriorating entirely and that makes me super scared that these things might bust. At the moment, I strictly use these headphones at home because of the fear of the headphones being nonoperational. I live in Canada and was wondering if the warranty covers this and if there is a way to fix my x10s so I can take them outside again without being scared that these headphones might die on me. Many thanks!

Hi Boberz3

I had mine replaced under warranty as the strain reliefs split. In the UK the warranty is 2 years same as yours:

Warranty – U.S. and Canada

Klipsch warrants to the original retail purchaser that the earphones
shall be free against defects in materials or workmanship in the
Product’s earphone external shell or in its earphone internal components
for a period of two (2) years, from the date of purchase, if it is
properly used and maintained.

Like you I use them frequently and think they are great.

The replacement X10s are the 'new and improved' version but the strain reliefs look just the same as the previous ones if not slightly thinner at the ends.

I try now to make sure I only hold them by the barrels and not the strain reliefs at all when touching them. Harder than it sounds as my fingers are a bit podgy

Hammy

Thanks Hammy!

I think I am going to call Klipsch to see if I can get a replacement pair soon! :D

I was also wondering... has anyone actually thought of a way to increase the durability of the strain reliefs?

I was thinking maybe using some heat shrink tubing to cover the strain relief as I have heard that body oils could be a factor to the strain relief depleting.

It would also increase the thickness of it in general, making it harder for it to rip.

Has anyone tried doing this before? Is it a good idea?

For one, most people I know use a lighter to shrink heat-shrink-tubing. I heard you can also use a blow dryer to shrink it too which is probably not as bad.

I would be concerned though that the ear pieces may be effected by the heat and result in a malfunction internally.

I am also open to any other ideas for people who have tried to increase the durability of their headphones

BoBeRz3

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I successfully repaired the strain relief on my X10s with some heatshrink tubing. I found some on Ebay (a box with all sorts of colours and shapes). Once you've found the right size, you need to spread it a bit with some scissors and then ease it over the end of the X10 and slide it onto the strain relief. Heating the tubing with a hair dryer shrinks it onto the strain relief. After some time, the tubing tends to come loose and you'll need to repeat the process.

I did think about returning the X10s but I'd lost my original proof of purchase and, anyway, I suspect the problem will continue with replacements. I wish Klipsch would be more honest about manufacturing problem afflicting the otherwise awesome X10s.