New apt w/ new setup, advice needed too!

SuBXeRo

Hey all, well, i pulled a move my mom would do to my dad all the time, rearrange the furniture while he was at work....well, i did it to my gf, we are "testing it out" right now. I have the new layout, the old layout and the layout from my previousd apt with my old tv...notice how the tv's have gotten larger. I also have a really brigt window behind the setup, i am in AZ so i bought some suntex 80 solar screen, i just cut it and im hanging it now, you can see the sun through the blinds, my goal is to have it so i can have the blinds open and not have my equipment destroyed, ill take another pic so i can show a comparison.

Now for the advice portion. I am in a second floor apt this sub rumble is an issue. I was thinking of making or buying a stand for the sub so its up off the floor and just high enough to shoot over the coffee table. I am getting an XPA-5 and my media stand is just too small for it i think so i was going to put the amp below it so it gets good thorough ventilation. I also was thinking of lifting the towers off the ground too since its got a rear port near the floor. Advice? I dont care that there is bass i just dont want it vibrating the floor as it comes out, in theory i suppose, having it up off the floor will help. Also, i need to raise my tv too since the cneter channel blocks the bottom of the tv, any ideas for a cheap fix, no phonebooks, its gotta look nice!

Current setup as of 7/14/10

klipschkierland.jpg

Setup as of 5/2/10

klipschkierlandold.jpg

Setup in old apt 4/22/10

klipsch1.jpg

Nice little setup. It looks very familiar, I have the same end table and lamp. Unfortunately subs and apt. living do not mix if you are a considerate neighbor. Many times even if it does not seem loud or rumbling in your apartment, you can bet the neighbors can hear/feel it. I wish I had some great advice to give you since I am in an apartment as well. Good luck.

That kind of setup is overkill for an apartment sadly. Basic bass waves are long enough that at almost any level 'subwoofer' sound will be felt.

In the end it depends on neighbors...I ended up getting rid of my Academy back in the mid 90's when I divorced because with my simple Yamaha HTR-1090 and Quartets/PSB300's I was creating issues.

Wish I never sold that Academy...took almost 10 years to find another as right after their prices hit $600+ (I sold mine with box and manual in mint condition for $175.

How the apt was constucted has a lot to do with what gets heard/felt. I just moved into my new apartment in NYC. Still haven't heard neighbors yet.... but old apartment, I was on 3rd floor. On second was a guy blasting his stereo. Figured I would hear something when I get to mine... nothing.

Overkill for Apt? I just ordered the RF-52, RC-52, and RS42's for my new apt. I already have Heresy's....any my place is tiny... yeah maybe overkill, but who says it needs to be loud? Just clear and crisp.... Couldn't squeeze anything bigger then the RF-52s...going to be tight as is. Yes, very small apt.

My advice - lay off the subwoofer if you're on the 2nd story of your apartment building. You're not gonna make any friends. When that thing is going off, everyone in you building is going to hear it and you'll be intruding on their environment. I'm sorry but I just don't get it. I had a sub when I lived in an apartment and I put it in storage. My neighbors didn't and every night around 10pm they would play a movie at high volumes and my entire apartment would start shaking, my pictures almost falling off the wall. I couldn't go to sleep until their movie was done. That's just not fair to be quite frank. You really don't need it with the speakers you have, and you'll make a lot more friends if you just leave it off. Sorry I just don't like it when people intrude on others relaxation time. I'm not bashing you personally, I'm just saying please don't do it.

you are all under the assumption that i am cranking my system. I am well aware of the sound proofing...i did apt leasing for some time. Right now, my sub is basically shooting waves directly onto the floor (its not downfiring but the waves still bounce) since its sitting on the floor and where the waves emerge they are strongest. These rf-10's have no low end and a sub is pretty much needed to get any lows. I dont crank my system, i try to be considerate hence im trying to solve the issue. I already have my sub gain turned down so that i still get the low end but its not shaking the walls. Im trying to optomize what i have so that i dont bother neighbors but also makes me happy as well. The sound proofing in my apt is decent, its better than my last apt. I have an old guy living below me, hes not very personable to begin with, at move in i introduced my gf and myself and just ignored us.

i actually posted a thread abou that not too long ago, i decided that i would forgo bass shakers. i think for my setup i might just try to sell the towers and the sub and buy larger towers and a larger center, with that ill have more presence, lower bass extension ans no need for a sub right now

I can agree not all apartments are created equal. Down here in S. Florida unless you are in a pretty high end condo or townhome even non-theater loudness can be heard between walls.

With a smaller sub you may be able to get by without disturbing a neighbor. Any real low sub (<20Hz) at pretty much even 1 watt of power is going to create a soundwave that will carry into the next room in all but the most fortified of construction.

So i picked up a paid of RF-3 II's for 250 bux, in pristine condition, i couldnt be happier, the difference between the rf-10's and the rf-3's is huge. I listened to just stereo and you can tell the voices have more autority and it doesnt sound like any music is missing. Witht he rf-10's you could hear the music was light on everything, both sound cystal clear but the larger cones really benefit music all around. As for the lower bass extension, i havent tested that yet but im looking forward. I do however feel that i may need to upgrade the center, maybe try to score and rc-3 II to match the towers. When that is done ill either give the speakers to my sis to borrow while shes out here going to school or ill just hock them on craigslist. Overall, very happy and i think i got an awesome price too!