Are special speakers required for recessed ceiling installation

FuLLT1LT

Hi

Currently have a pair of Klipsch RS-3 surround speakers that I cannot use unless I string speaker wire all over my room, not to mention the large bulky speakers wouldn't fit in well w/ my space.

I would like to do a ceiling installation where these speakers would be completely recessed and not visible with the sound exiting through a flush mounted grill. Above the ceiling is just insulation and trusses and there is access through a cubby hole. I do not know if this is a good idea to do this type of installation with these particular speakers.

Are special speakers required for recessed installations into ceilings and walls?

Thanks in advance for sharing knowledge.

If wires are your only concern...(and you want to keep your current speakers) could you instead, simply run the wire up the wall, across the ceiling and down the other wall?

I do think there is wire made for in wall situations.

Doesn't sound too hard at all, it's just a matter of how much work are you willing to do yourself. Attic crawl spaces are not a fun place to be, especially during the summer time.

But assuming you have a drywall (sheet-rocked) ceiling finish, you can extend thin support cables (from any Hardware store) through tiny holes (made with drill or ice-pick) in the ceiling drywall and attach 1 end of the cable directly to it to the ceiling joists, or if you have pre-fab trusses, the bottom chords of the truss. The other end of the cable is for attaching the speakers too.

Note, locate holes adjacent edge of ceiling joists or truss bottom chords. Otherwise, depending on speaker weight, you could create a bigger hole than intended.

Enjoy,