"RIGHT" speaker cable for RB-5

atom

now i am considering what is the right speaker cable for the RB-5.

i don't talk the price here, cos each brand has it's entry level and top line.

my point is "right"!

which brand's style is good for RB-5. i mean to balance RB-5's shortcoming, and make it more musical?

(i fill my system is now a little bit dry and hard)

MIT? Synergistic Research ? Monster? Audioquest?

i know this question is still in personal taste, but still want to know you guys' view.

thanks

OK:

Get some 40-cent 12 gague speaker cable from partsexpress.com and also get 4 sets of gold-plated banana plugs. It will be PERFECT this way.

If you have to spent $5 a foot, PLEASE DO NOT BUY MONSTER CABLE. They are slime bags beyond belief. Get Kimber is you must give some rich guy some more money. Trust me, if you compared decent 12 gague to $5 a foot cable, you will not hear a difference unless YOU WANT TO HEAR A DIFFERENCE!

If I was you, get partsexpress.com cable

If you have money to burn, get anything BUT Monster Cable.

Enjoy, I will get some RB-5II's soon...

------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Turntable: Technics SL-J3 with Audio-Technica TR485U

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

thanks ken and deang.

i know MIT is a good cable. but according the reviews on audioreview, it seems a little bit critical to different speakers.(but no reviews there based on klipsch speaker) not sure whether it is good for my rb-5?and why?

how about synergestic reasearch alpha?

kenratboy and atom,

What's so silimebaggy about Monster. Their entry-level Litz-type constructions are not particularly expensive and seem to work well .. certainly better than zip. If the individual strands are not insulated then that's a problem, but I think they are.

The 12 GA on Parts Express looks fine, but I can't tell if the individual strands are insulated. Individual strand insulation lowers high freq. impedance (even as low as 20KHz).

I have a set of RB5s and I switched to Kimber 4TC. I thought the hf improved and bass was damped more effectively.

In the end, however, I think "dry and hard" sounds more like transistor nonlinearity or crossover distortion than hookup wire. atom, do you have access to a tube or class A transistor amp? Klipsch speakers are very sensitive to what an amp puts out. If it's music, it's good. If it's distortion, then you hear it.

I have MIT cable with my KLF20s and am happy with it. Now, I may very well have imagined what happened, but here was my perception (shared by a couple of friends who hang out at my place fairly often):

When I first installed the MIT, it sounded like it was choking the sound compared to the prior cables (a "house brand" internal biwire cable from Goodwins Audio in Boston). The imaging seemed off, the bass seamed weak and everything seemed veiled. I thought I was imaging this (and maybe I was), but my friends claimed to hear it too. I left the system on night and day (at low volume) all through out the work week, and the sound seemed to open up and the bass seemed to get stronger than I'd heard it before, and the imaging became better than I had remembered it before. When my friends came over the next weekend, without any prompting, they expressed amazement at how much better the bass was and how clearer the systems sounded. But they meant compared to when the MIT was first installed (they honestly could not remember whether it was better than with the old cables).

So, I do think the cables improved with break in, which might be unique to MIT because of the big boxes at the end of the cables. I also think that they smothed out the high end of the KLF 20s and improved the bass. But, lest I fall victim to attack and be labled a believer in voodoo, I have to admit that I have not since tried an AB comparison with the old cables. Who knows?

Bottom line -- they sound good to me; I think they improved the sound of the KLF 20s; and they were not very expensive. If you get MIT cable, or any other "high end cable", you may considered buying it used on line, since it is kind of a rip-off brand new.

I love the MIT/KLF 20 combo. But any difference between decent quality cables will be subtle at best.

I used to have the RB5's before I upgraded. I started with 12 gauge zip cord, then to some Monster cable, followed with a set of MIT 4's. I then birwired, putting the Monsters on the woofers and the MIT 4's on the tweeters. When I finally finished my upgrade path to the RF7's -- I bought some MIT Biwire 2's from www.AudioAdvisor.com for about $250 (half off).

Each cable 'upgrade' created noticeable approvement in the treble. When I went to the MIT 2's -- I noticed the bass firm up. Since I don't have much of a imagination, I can only believe it was the cable.

Personally -- I think MIT cable and horns work very well together.

------------------

dean

leok, u said maybe i should try some tube. yeah, that's my next step upgrade. i plan to try some 300B tube for my RB-5.

thanks deang. i know the MIT cable with take out some harsh from speaker.

u know, according the frenquency curve, the RB-5 down suddendly above 10KHZ. so i want the cable are good at the high extension. that will leave some room for my next upgrade on amplifier.