RW 8 blown fuse?

thecoffeeguy

Hello everyone. Have a weird thing happening with my RW 8 woofer.

I swapped out receivers yesterday. Before I did, woofer was working fine. I get the green light indicator.

After I swapped everything out, I plug in the woofer, but I get no green light at all. I checked my connections, the power in the wall and everything is set.

So I am wondering, could I have blown a fuse in my RW 8 woofer?
If so, possible to replace the fuse? Trying to figure out how to do that.

Thanks.

TCG

Hey Coffeeguy!

Well, I looked around and can not find any info on a fuse. So, lets go back and redo or undo what you did. First of all, unplug it and let it sit for a few minutes. Some Subwoofers have a circuit breaker, so unplugging it for a few minutes will reset the circuit breaker. Plug it in and see if the green light comes on?

Is the sub out working on the new/different receiver? Do you have to go into the menu and tell it "Sub On"? My pioneer is like that.

You can always hook it back up to the old receiver and see if the green light comes on. Then you know it is not the sub.

Did the sub cable get damaged in any way and it is not carrying the signal to the sub?

Try those and report back, if it still does not work, we will try removing the amp and seeing if there is a fuse.

Good Luck,

Dennie

Hi Dennie,
Thanks for your help.
I took your suggestions and put them into affect.

Sorry to report that the sub appears dead. :(
I did everything you said; let it sit for 15 mins; plugged it back into the old receiver. The green indicator light never comes back on. :(

Bummer. I am really quite shocked that it died. I remember actually powering off the sub and the green indicator light was on. I never thought that the next time it tried to turn on, it would be dead.

I really cant think of any other thing to verify if it is indeed dead. The fact the indicator light does not come on at all, both new and old receiver, doesnt sound well.

Thanks for the help. I really do appreciate it.

TCG

Hi Dennie,
Thanks for your help.

I did everything you said; let it sit for 15 mins; plugged it back into the old receiver. The green indicator light never comes back on. :(

Bummer. I am really quite shocked that it died. I remember actually powering off the sub and the green indicator light was on. I never thought that the next time it tried to turn on, it would be dead.

I really cant think of any other thing to verify if it is indeed dead. The fact the indicator light does not come on at all, both new and old receiver, doesnt sound well.

TCG

You're welcome Coffeeguy,

Do you feel comfortable opening it up?

Dennie

If so, then make sure it is unplugged and take out the screws holding the amp in. I can't find a good picture of the amp, but it should be obvious and fairly simple.

Now, don't touch anything on the amp that you don't have to. We're looking for a fuse. It is probably the Glass Type that were all familiar with. We are also looking for anything that does not look right. If the capacitor is fried and leaking or wires are burnt, that will be obvious.

Keep us posted,

Dennie

Hi Dennie,
Thanks for your help.

TCG

Are you sure you connected the sub RCA plug to the receiver correctly? You possibly may have stripped the center wire of the cable.... Try replacing the cable. (This happened to me before).

My KSW10 would stay red until it received a signal for ~5 seconds continuous......

You say this one does not come on at all.... Did it come on red before?

It may be a fuse, but I doubt you blew a fuse unless you left it powered on suring the swap......

Dennie is right on if changing the RCA cable does not work.

Good Luck.

• 1 month later...

Sorry for the long delay. Been super busy.

Verified a few things:

-bought new fuses and replaced them in the sub. No dice.
-borrowed a sub from my dad, plugged it in and it works (powers on and sound comes out).

So sounds like it is definitely something with the amp. I will probabl open it up and see what I can find. Removing the screws is pretty straightforward. Looking inside is where it can get interesting. :)

Question on opening it up: On the back of the sub, there is a 'panel' type, that appears to be roughly 10 x 10. It is closed with star screws.
To properly open it up, I remove all those star screws to take off the back panel? Maybe about 10-15 star screws to remove? That sound right?

Thanks!

TCG