Proper placement for Horns

Deang

Per Mobile and Mdeneens suggestion -- I moved my RF7's 3 feet from the back wall and spread them out an additional 2 feet - they are now 8 feet apart and I am 11 feet away from them.

Spreading them out in this way places them 27 inches from each side wall.

They are toed in quite a bit, with the horns pointed right at my head.

Image width is certainly tremendous, and the speakers have become completely invisible -- what a fry.

I expected there to be a 'hole' in middle, but that is not what happened.

At any rate -- in spite of the fantastic width of image -- the presentation is now a little more incisive than I prefer, and I am wondering if this is due to the speakers being moved so far out from the back wall -- I think that extra foot out cost me some bass -- which is accounting for the treble sounding a little more forward. Doesn't a ported speaker need to be closer to the back wall to get the proper bass output?

I'm also wondering how close to the side walls I can go. With a horned speaker -- what is the proper setup formula? That is, if I'm 11 feet back -- how far apart SHOULD they be?

I had always read that speakers should be 1/2 the distance apart from each other as you are away from them. This doesn't seem to be the case with horns.

------------------

dean

------------------

dean

mdeneen said: "Your RF7's are very narrow - which implies that you will get a great deal of reflected sound off the back wall."

Please elaborate on this a little - I don't really understand the relationship between the width of the speaker and sound coming off the back wall. By 'back wall' do you mean the wall behind the speaker -- or the wall behind me?

The wall behind me is waaay back behind me where the stairs are. I don't think I'm getting squat off that wall -- it's too far away.

also -- do you have an opinion on how close I can get to my side walls? I was thinking if I spread them apart a little more (and toed them in accordingly), I might recover some of the bass I lost when I brought them forward. What do you think? Yea, I know -- try it and seeSmile.gif but damn them things are heavy!

------------------

dean

This message has been edited by deang on 03-30-2002 at 07:16 PM

Keep the away from the side walls in my opinion. IS the bass more neutral now? You really dont want the reflections off the side walls although horns have better directional ability compared to regular speakers. Make sure you dont have the speakers equal distance between the back and sides. They should be uequal numbers here. Personally, I think 11 feet away is a bit far away with them 8 feet apart. You might try moving slightly closer to the speakers, nearer the 8 feet number. Try to find a live recording done with stereo mic setup where you can see how the soundstage does. Generally speaking, bringing the speakers out from the back wall increases soundstage depth and widening them more width. You actually might have become used to the bass with them near the back wall. You could try moving them a five or so inches father back toward the wall to pick up a little bit here.

Mark you locations with tape as references. Try to dial in the soundstage, imaging, and centerfill. It takes awhile to get this right, but once there, it is worth it. If on spikes (and they should be), make sure they are level or both the same tilt.

kh

PS, the wall in front of you and behind the speakers is referred to as "the front wall",

I would move the speakers a bit closer in, maybe dial up a bit more bass - to increase the focal illusion of image ...

------------------

Colin's Music System Cornwall 1s & Klipsch subs; lights out & tubes glowing!

UBB code test again

------------------

Amplifier: Dennis Hadd AE-25 Push-Pull Triodef>s>

Preamp: Sonic Frontiers Line 1f>s>

CDP: Anthem CD1f>s>

Speakers: Klipsch RF7f>s>

Cables: MITf>s>

This message has been edited by deang on 03-31-2002 at 11:00 PM