D Class/T Amps for driving horns.

biglaz

I'm currently using three stereo T-amps (6 channels, 20wpc) in an active triamp system and the sound is incredible.

The only critique is that they don't sound to me like 20wpc. More like 5 or 10wpc before they start to get harsh. But do I need to tell you what 5 watts into a Khorn feels like?

Greg

Any thoughts about using one of the amps for driving mid and/or high freq horns.

I am looking at these:http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=320-304 or this one:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=320-300

Those tiny output filter inductors are going to give that amplifier a really crappy output impedance....especially at higher frequencies, but even at low frequencies. This means poor damping factor, which equals sloppy bass and a frequency response that follows the impedance response of your speakers (which almost always guarantees boosted highs).

I also believe the Tripath approach has rather poor power supply rejection, which means you'll need to power it with a very solid power supply.

I guess for $40 you're getting what you pay for, but I the last Class D output stage I whipped up would do I believe 250W into 8ohms and could be passively cooled (no fans)....and without the power supply, it was costing in the range of about $20 in parts if I remember correctly, and it had more than enough of power supply rejection.

Does anyone know if the Hypex amps are still available for purchase? I think they sound way nicer than the Tripath, but I'm not sure where they can be ordered from anymore.

http://www.hypex.nl/

I tried several digital amps (Red Wine, T-amp, Hypex UDC 180 & 400) and found the Hypex UDC180 with lots of capacitance was the best in my system. Still, I found the amps very neutral at best, often sterile and sometimes harsh on the top end. I moved away from the amps but when I modified the Khorns a few months later and replaced the midhorn and tweeter, I revisited digital amplification and found they were excellent driving the bass bins (fast, clean and powerful).

Voicing digital amps with SET amps and the speakers was a bit of a challenge but I found a chip amp that was designed to work with my Oris horn in mind and it matched very well. I sold all the other amps except the T-amp that I use to test speakers and such in the field. Definitely noticed improvement on amps with oversized power supplies and lots of capacitance but also noticed that some can introduce hum (probably an impedance mismatch) so be sure to check the specs before buying. The right amp will run absolutely silent and its so efficient that you can leave it on all the time - no noise, no heat, no worries. Have fun.