RSW-10, 12, or 15?

kenratboy

Well, I know that the bigger RSW-1? you get, the more bass. What are the real differences between the 10, 12, and 15? Which one represents the BEST VALUE? Is the 10 too weak, is the 15 too expensive?

Thanks!

------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Turntable: Technics SL-J3 with Audio-Technica TR485U

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

It all depends on how much bass you want, the size of your room, and the other speakers you have. Smile.gif

------------------

Home Theater:

Display: Sony VPL-VW11HT LCD Projector

A/V Receiver: Denon AVC-A11SR (European version of Denon AVR-4802)

DVD Player: Denon DVD-3800

Center: Klipsch RC-7

Mains: Klipsch RF-7s

Surrounds: Klipsch RS-7s

Subwoofer: SVS CS-Ultra w/Samson S1000 amplifier

The best value would be the middle choice,the RSW12.

It packs almost as much punch at 30Hz and can be purchased close to the RSW10 price.

The RSW15 does not go much deeper then the RSW15 even if the specs tell you another story.Its does NOT pack the extra punch you would want from a large 15" active/passive config.

SO the RSW12 gets my vote.Great for small sats like

RB-5's.Clean and punchy,for techno and the likes its a easy choice.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

The 10 is certainly a great little sub, and probably more than enough for a lot of people. This is especially true if you have smaller main speakers like bookshelf models and/or a smaller room. The 12 is basically and "effortless 10". The 10 and the 12 have virtually identical response curves - the difference being that the 12 plays quite a bit lower and is also louder throughout its entire range. While the 10 and the 12 are similar, the 15 is quite a bit different. It has a slight bump in its response starting at about 40Hz that the 10 and 12 do not have. Also, the 15 can play quite a bit louder than the 12 - as much as 14dB louder at 25Hz. The 15 will also play as much beyond the 12 into the low registers as the 12 will do to the 10. The differences are quite apparent in listening to them too. Indeed, the 12 sounds like a 10, only louder and lower and with less effort. The 15 is in another league. It can energize a room in a way that the other two simply can't do. You feel bass with the 15.

All in all, I would let your room and tastes be the guide. They all three sound good and work as well for music as they do theater. If you want more bass, go for a bigger model. Or, you could do like I do and have a 15 up front with a 12 in the back. That works pretty well. Biggrin.gif

You can also check out the May 2002 issue of Sound & Vision magazine. There is a review in there of the entire Reference 7 flagship system - including the RSW-15. In the technical report by Tom Nouisane, he says the RSW-15 is one of the best-measuring subs he's seen.

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

Hey great! I was just looking for this kind of info!

One of the things I want to ask though is, looking at my proposed system listed in my sig, would I need a 12? Someone mentioned that one of the considerations is the other speakers. So, taking a look at what I want to get, again, what would someone suggest. Yes, I know there is no concrete answer. cwm20.gif

------------------

m00n

-------------------------

System to come:

RF-3II Floorstanding

RC-3II Center

RS-3II Surrounds

RSW-10 Subwoofer

Harman Kardon AVR 520

Toshiba DVD

Samsung 27" Flatscreen

This message has been edited by m00n on 04-15-2002 at 11:52 PM

kenratboy,

I just got my setup up and running. Let me tell you, the RSW-12, is incredible. At least in my opinion. I have never had a home theater before, so your getting an opinion from a newbie, but OMG, it rocks! To be honest, with my size living room, I just can't image needing anything bigger than that. I think I only have it turned up about half way.

------------------

the m00n system

RF-3II Front floors

RC-3II Center

RS-3II Surrounds

RSW-12 Subwoofer

Harman Kardon AVR 520

Toshiba SD 3205 DVD

Samsung 27" Flatscreen

GREAT!!!

I hope you enjoy it! I have my monster JBL sub now, but I may have to trade down Frown.gif in the future, and wanted to know what was good.

I think the 10 is out, and the 12 or 15 is the way to go.

Enjoy!

------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Turntable: Technics SL-J3 with Audio-Technica TR485U

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!