at the risk of being redundant...

Hi Tom,

WRT the Stephens woofers, they came in early K-horns in the '40s and '50s. I didn't see the 103LX2's on e-bay as you mentioned, but they would work for you as well as: Stephens P52LX2, E-V 15 WK, Klipsch K-33-J, Klipsch K33-P, Klipsch K-33-E. All these were used at one time or another in some numbers. I think it was Tom Brennen who has had very good results using the Altec 515's.

For the midrange, I would seriously consider mating a K-55-V or a University SAHF driver to an Altec 511B horn.

Tweeter is really a personal preference as to how 'foward' or 'hot' you like your speakers to sound. Personally, I do not favor the K-77. Though a good unit, it's a little to 'in your face' for my taste. Call me weird, but I like the more understated 16 ohm sound the Mid T/4401 combo provides.

I have found the older oil filled 'AA' networks to work very well with this setup in my center Belle (103LX2 woof, SAHF/511B mid, Mid-T/4401 tweet). I would suspect that the La Scala would produce similar results.

Have fun!

------------------

Ed

Klipsch might sell you the K-33. On the other hand, I used a Pyramid PW-1570 with good results.

The E network will need some rework. The autotransformer is probably usable and one of the caps can be used for the tweeter in order to get close to an A type network.

Gil

Jeez, here I am looking all over the place for these 15" speakers, Klipsch has them available new for $100 apiece. So long, ebay. Thanks, Gil, once again. They also have an AL-3 network, but they're $152 apiece. I'll proably try to find some way to fix mine to work. Any detail on that, Gil?

edwardre, my hearing is so damaged that I don't have an issue with the bright K-77 tweets at all. I see guys on here turning down their treble, redoing their crossovers, etc to control the tweeters on Heresy's, I have my treble turned UP 1 notch....

Sux to be me, I guess Smile.gif

Tom

much coolness, a buddy is a genius H-P plotter tech at a local CAD vendor, he's printing out John's La Scala plans doc file on 36" x 48" paper for me. I'll take all the help I can get. Smile.gif

I did a real nice 427" small-block Chevy for a 72 Camaro he has, he told me if I ever needed anything....

Tom

Klipschguy,

>>I thought the Chevy 427 CID was a big block?

It is, unless a 4" stroke crank is installed in a 400 small block. It's kind of marginal on the clearance in the crankcase, but it can be done. Better to use an aftermarket block, but this one is in a 1970 four bolt main passenger car block. Funny thing is, the guy has it all fixed up to look like a stock 350 under the hood. Aluminum manifold painted orange, all that. It's in a 72 Camaro, car will jerk your neck off in any gear. Fun car.

Tom

This message has been edited by Tom Mobley on 04-05-2002 at 01:07 AM