Emotiva USP-1

jdm56

I really like mine although it's in an atypical application. I needed a pre-amp with adjustable crossovers and this was a very reasonable solutition. It sounds fantastic even with pro-amps. Crystal clear. I'd have no problems using it for critical listening.

post-15193-13819617303804_thumb.jpg

post-15193-1381962118358_thumb.jpg

I read somewhere that it defaults to the CD input everytime you turn it off and back on. Is that true?

Do you like the remote? Any issues there? Any quirks come to mind?

I'm looking at Adcom, Parasound and NAD, but they're all over twice the price of the Emotiva. Which actually makes me a little suspicious of the Emo. But it does appear to do most things I want a pre to do. I'd like remote tone and balance controls, but only the Adcom has those, and I'm not terribly confident about Adcom's long term prospects. They seem to be changing ownership on an annual basis.

Thanks,

Doug

I read somewhere that it defaults to the CD input everytime you turn it off and back on. Is that true?

Do you like the remote? Any issues there? Any quirks come to mind?

Yes it does default to CD for some reason, it's not an issue for me.

I've used the remote to be sure it works, but that's about it. It worked perfectly. Typically I'm moving around in my garage, so I work everything manually.

OK. Thanks a lot. I appreciate the info and the picture.

The sub-$1000 stereo pre-amp category is tiny. I didn't realize how tiny until I started seriously shopping. Let's see, there's the Emotiva. Then you have Adcom, Vincent, NAD and Parasound. And I just discovered the Belles Soloist 3 which looks pretty sweet. That's all I can think of. There are probably more out there somewhere.

I guess I'll just keep looking!

Hey Doug, I know you're looking for a preamp, but have you seen Outlaws Stereo Receiver for $699?

CLICK HERE

I just thought I would mention it.

Dennie

Yes, I've looked at it. It's pretty nice, but I just haven't given in to going the receiver route...yet. I know they appear to be a lot better value than separates -even the cheapest separates like I'm looking at.

For 2-channel purposes, I'm using my Pioneer receiver as a pre, driving my Adcom GFA-5500 with the Bose EQ in between. It actually works well, but I'm still getting some audible hiss that I think getting that EQ in a proper tape or processor loop would eliminate. But I have become spoiled by the Pioneer's remote tone controls, so I hate to give up that little bell...or is that a whistle? Anyway, at the prices I'm looking at, it's hard to find a pre that will do all I want. The Adcom has the remote tone and balance, but I'm not sure it's tape input will keep my EQ in circuit when other inputs are selected.

Thanks for the heads-up on the Outlaw. It and the H-K 3490 look to be killer values.