Just as good?

snowman3232

I'm just recently getting into home audio (big car audio guy) and I'm in the process of getting items for my theater. I was thinking about getting a Klipsch sub when I thought what would the difference be if I hooked up a car sub in my room. Right now I'm currently not using a 15" enclosed sub that I think would do great. I know the bass might seem weak with smaller subs, but wouldn't a 15" do good. (Not talking sound quality wise exactly because the sub would just be for really low sounds like explosions anyway) Correct me if I'm wrong on anything and feel free to tell me what you guys think.

Typically car sub enclosures are tuned higher than a HT sub. Automotive subs are normally tuned to 30-35 Hz and use cabin gain to get lower. Car sub amps have filters that keep them from trying to produce sounds below the cabinets tuning frequency, but you probably know that already. A home sub is going to be tuned around (roughly) 20Hz or so. Many movies have content below that. Using a car sub in your home would be better than no sub at all, but it's far from ideal. You could even damage it without the proper filter.

I just re-read your original post. You stated you have an "enclosed" sub. If by enclosed, you mean sealed, then it might not be too bad. As psg pointed out, you'll need an amp. Run your RCA from your receiver to your amp and speaker wire from your amp to your sub. What Ohm load is your driver. Many car subs are wired for a final load of 1 Ohm. You're not going to find a home amp that will run it. If you're at a 4 Ohm load (maybe 2) you'll have a few choices.

I just re-read your original post. You stated you have an "enclosed" sub. If by enclosed, you mean sealed, then it might not be too bad. As psg pointed out, you'll need an amp. Run your RCA from your receiver to your amp and speaker wire from your amp to your sub. What Ohm load is your driver. Many car subs are wired for a final load of 1 Ohm. You're not going to find a home amp that will run it. If you're at a 4 Ohm load (maybe 2) you'll have a few choices.

I figured I would need a plate amp. Yes, it is sealed and it's a 4 ohm sub.

I was thinking maybe > http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=300-805

or > http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=300-750

The only thing you'd need to make that sub work is something like a Behringer EP-4000. You'r sub has two 4Ohm voice coils. You could run one channel to each voice coil. If you don't like it, you could build another sub and use the same amp. The only thing you might want to do is change out the fan as the stock fans are a little noisey.

I figured I would need a plate amp. Yes, it is sealed and it's a 4 ohm sub. I was thinking maybe > http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=300-805 or > http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=300-750

If I read your spec sheet correctly, It's a dual 4 Ohm sub which means it can be wired for a 2 Ohm or 8 Ohm load.

The only thing you'd need to make that sub work is something like a Behringer EP-4000. You'r sub has two 4Ohm voice coils. You could run one channel to each voice coil. If you don't like it, you could build another sub and use the same amp. The only thing you might want to do is change out the fan as the stock fans are a little noisey.

Using an amp like that I would be pushing 950 watts RMS at 4 ohms. I didn't think I needed that much power.

What are recommended fans? Is the EP-2000 noisy as well?

What are recommended fans? Is the EP-2000 noisy as well?

I've never heard the 2000 but it wouldn't surprise me. I have a 2500 and a 4000(rebadged 2500) and they're both too loud for normal living room use. Let me do a little digging and I'll find you a link with info on swapping them out.

According to your specs, the driver can handle more than that amp can put out. Wether or not you need it depends on your room and listening habits. It's better to buy more amp than you need. More amp equals more headroom for transients. You can always back the gain down if you need to but on a smaller amp, when you run out of steam, you can't go any higher. You can actually damage a driver faster sending it a clipped signal from an over driven smaller amp than you can with a higher wattage amp operating within it's normal range.

HERE is some reading for you. The Behringer for my HT is in an adjacent room, so it's not an issue when I watch movies. The other one is in my garage so it's really not a problem either. My 4 QSC's are in my living room however, so I did swap those.

Thanks! You're a mountain of good info!