External Amp?

Spudnick

Hi. First time post, first time owner of Klipsch. Doing a major over haul of home stereo. Recently upgraded sub from polk PSW10 to a VTF-2 MK3. Old stereo is Onkyo TX-SR506, Polk monitor 50's for mains. Polk CS20 center. Surrounds Polk TSi 100's. Awaiting on a set of RF-82 II (mains). RC-62 II (center). RS-52 II (surrounds). Also deceided to purchase a Pioneer VSX-1120-K to replace old receiver. Still have the VTF-2 MK3. Was wanting to know if I should purchase a external amp? Room size is 14'x20'. I like very loud music but want it to be very clean. I do watch movies but do music 80% of the time.Thanks for your future suggestions.

Your Onkyo puts out 75 W/channel and your Pioneer puts out 110 W/channel (8 ohms nominal) - I don't believe that you'll ever need any more than that. If the amplifiers in these receivers are not good enough, I don't know what will be "good enough".

Another place to put your money may be room acoustic treatment, assuming that you have issues in your present room.

Chris

Well, I would not purchase one right away. Personally I would wait and get everything set up, give it a couple months and go from there. If you feel like you are not getting the full potential out of your speakers then you can start looking. I have some RF-7s and I dont think there is a decently priced receiver that could ever push my RF-7's to there potential. There was a dramatic difference when I added an Emotiva XPA-3 amp to my system to run the mains and center. You have chosen some very equipment so far, and have a pretty nice sub, so you should be pretty happy with movies. Just give it a chance for a lil while and you can always add one later. Good luck.

• Moderators

Welcome to the forums Brad. I agree...enjoy your new speakers. Then if you decide you need a little more than what your receiver can provide or you get that "what if" syndrome, purchase an external amp. There are definite value in having an external amp.

Thanks for your advice. Polks are out the door.,Allmost. Received the 82's today. Not hooked up but very impressive compared to the monitor 50. Looks like delivery of all speakers are spread out tell the end of next week. Guess I will drule for a week. Thanks, Brad.

• 2 weeks later...

Separate amp is by far the better option. I've been where you are and went back and forth for months. (Big receiver or separates.) Even with low end amplification, the pre/pro separate made a world of difference. I had separates 20 years ago and never was able to get the same sound quality out of an all-in-one unit. Decided to go back to what I liked and it was a great decision. My 40 yr. old mains sprang to life again! Your 82s will be/sound/perform much better with separates. .02