Once again singing the praises of Bob Crites

tromprof

I recently acquired a nice pair of 1977 La Scala speakers. I could tell once I listened to them for a while that like my 1976 Klipschorns they needed to have the crossovers updated. The sound, while good, just didn't have the clarity and impact I associate with big horns. I went to Bob Crites' website planning to order a pair of his A crossovers like I put in my K-horns but discovered he now makes a "A/4500" crossover that lowers the upper limit of the mid horn of the mid horn to 4500 hz, instead of the usual 6000 hz. This requires his tweeters as it will damage the K-77 tweeter. Replacing the K-77s was something I did to the K-horns a couple of years ago (I really thought it improved the sound BTW) so I ordered the A/4500 for the K-horns and put the old Crites type As in the La Scalas. I also replaced the old La Scala horn to driver gaskets at the same time. What a great improvement to both speakers! The La Scalas sound like they should have, just like my K-horns but without the bass. But the A/4500 crossover is really why I am posting this. I never noticed my K-horns sounding a little strained in the upper mid range, but after installing the new crossovers I immediately noticed how much more laid back the sound was, and seemingly clearer as well. Not that I ever had a complaint about the sound before, it was excellent, but now it is even better. Even my 12 year old daughter noticed the change. The A/4500 is an upgrade that I would recommend without hesitation. It would be nice to do that to the La Scalas as well, but I am in enough trouble as it is, so for now it can wait. As far as bass on the La Scala, I will be posting pics soon of the Table Tuba subwoofer that I am currently building (with a lot of help). [:D] Life is good!

Bob and Michael Crites are great guys and they do really good work. I have a pair of Crites tweeters in my 1981 Cornwalls.

Kudos the B&K Enterprises!