Possible bargain K-22-K replacement?

djk

It's not the same, of course, but it's quite close. The system resonance around 70hz has a lower Qtc, so it has a little less output at 70hz. A Qtc=0.577 is Bessel, the best transient response for a closed box. About $40 plus shipping.

Posted Image

A new design for two drivers in a medium sized vented box.

Posted Image

Okay DJK,

My ears have perked up on this one. I love a clean bass, but big horns are difficult to build.

So I have been: 1) reading some of the Keele material on 6th order vented systems, 2) intrigued by your push-pull slot loaded (PPSL) suggestions. I would like to use both approaches.

I am aiming for a bass bin that goes from 40-200 Hz and has a very clean sound (which I always assume is do to efficiency, but the distortion cancellation from PPSL may contribute here also).

Are these bargain speakers going to do it for me?

Such a cabinet would open up a number of possibilities when combined with a 8 or 10inch driver in a horn loaded box for the mids (200-1000 Hz) and a HF horn (perhaps a Electrovoice HP640 that I have laying arounnd).

Now I am salivating, since this could be DIYer's dream (low cost and great sound).

Many possibilites ....

I think they will be fine for hi-fi, or lower powered PA.

I bought eight of them and two pair are going into a pair of bi-amp double 12+1.5" P-Audio top. Low end will be a TH with a single 15. Small rooms will be just the tops with 50hz tuning, big rooms will be triamped with the TH subs.

These look OK except there is a bit too much glue at the spider to cone joint. The pair mentioned above will be running on a Hafler DH220, so I don't think it will be an issue.

Your idea sounds good too, an HP640 is a favorite of mine. Have you ever thought about a Danly style Unity mid-HF horn?

Les Hudson did a 10" Audio Nirvana on a 200hz Oris style horn with a double 12 PPSL and a Fostex bullet. He said the PPSL sounded fine up to about 400hz (although I believe he crossed at 200hz).

"Your idea sounds good too, an HP640 is a favorite of mine. Have you ever thought about a Danly style Unity mid-HF horn?"

-----I was leaning toward a tractrix flare for the mid-Hf horn. I am aware of the Danley/Unity horn. A couple of years ago I did some homework on it. My conclusion at the time was that it would be a fun project, but not a high priority. IIRC, there were too many ways to mess up and I was not sure that AKABAK or Hornresp would easily model it. I may re-visit my notes and re-think things. I am also thinking about a conical horn in the style of a Hughes/Quad Throat design. That is another interesting design/patent. Not sure why other DIYers have not played with it and perhaps adapt it to a mid horn.

"Les Hudson did a 10" Audio Nirvana on a 200hz Oris style horn with a double 12 PPSL and a Fostex bullet. He said the PPSL sounded fine up to about 400hz (although I believe he crossed at 200hz)"

--------I saw a photo of this over at AA. It looked interesting. A DIY Oris horn may not be practical for my purposes. One goal is to create designs that my friends can use to make systems that are achievable, good and affordable. Unfortunately, many horn designs require complicated wood working skills/equipment or are finicky about building to precise specs. That is why the PPSL / 6th order vented bass bin is so intriguing.