Forte' upgrade

wsd

So after reading many forum postings, I decided to update the crossovers in my Fortes' (I bought them new in 1988). I purchased the DIY kit from Al Klappenberger (~$163 shipped) and a pair of new autotransformers from Bob Crites (~$72 shipped). I was able to build and install the crossovers in one day, after building the crossovers, I updated only one speaker at first, so that I could do comparisons. I noted the following after the new crossover installation. The low end seems to have a more punch/depth, the highs are clearer/crisper, but the mids are where I detected the most improvement (unbelievable clarity). I find myself listening to my music library whenever I can now - whereas before I mostly only used the system for HT and listened to music in my truck. I would definitely recommend to any Forte' owners to update the crossovers.

post-41263-13819619422456_thumb.jpg

post-41263-13819622811992_thumb.jpg

I always liked my Fortes, one of the best bang for the buck speakers Klipsch made. As far as updating the crossovers, I think that is the way to go for any older Klipsch speaker. I have new Crites crossovers in both my K-horns and La Scalas. It is money well spent, and I was able to sell the old AA crossovers on Ebay for the price of the new ones!

wsd,

I am surprised to see it mounted on that partition behind the "cup" hole. I didn't think it would fit there. Did you reuse the old cup or make a new cover? You MUST restore an air-tight seal where the cup was mounted. The way the cable goes through the hole implies you have left it open. You MUST seal it! Does the cable simply connect to terminals mounted on a cover located below the picture?

Al K.

Al,

The crossover is not mounted exactly centered on the partition - it is offset to the right a little, I did reused the input cup - there was plenty of clearance between the crossover and rear of the input cup, one thing I didn't show in the photo's was that I restapled the foam piece over the crossover. I was only able to use three of the mounting screw locations drilled in the crossover board - it is very secure.

Thank you again for your work and providing an affordable upgrade option.

wsd,

I was curious about the foam. The extra mounting holes were only put there so that shorter screws could be used. I didn't want a fewer number of longer screws to protrude through the side of the woodwork! Three should hold it fine.

BTW: Here's the thread describing the development of this network: http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/120300.aspx

Al K.

Al,

I will remove the passive and try to take a photo to show the finished job - with the cup in place and the foam installed.

I had read your thread on the development of the network and it is what helped me decide to purchase your kit - I thought the thoroughness of your design and measurements were outstanding.

Thanks again.

Shawn

• 1 month later...

I am sitting here listening to the POLICE "Ghost in the Machine" and again I just have to reiterate how amazing my Fortes sound after this modification - I would like to thank Al again for providing an affordable solution to restoring the Forte's back to their amazing sound reproduction.

• 3 weeks later...

The network design for the Forte II is done. I haven't built it, but it's so similar to the network for the Forte I that I don't think I need to build it to prove the design. The only changes are in the low crossover to the woofer. The part values have changed over the Forte I design. You can find the thread on the Forte I crossover here:

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/120300.aspx

The schematic is below. The changed values are in red.

Al K.

post-2934-13819636201132_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

I purchased Forte crossover parts kit from Al this past December and can say that they were a nice upgrade for me. i feel that improvements were made in the overall balance of sound. Prior to the new xovers going in the sound quality was slightly dark with some uneven qualities in the upper mid frequencies that often went harsh at higher volumes. Now thay sound refined and detailed without losing the stark powerful quality that makes them special to begin with, and they never get out of control at higher listening levels. Al....i also mounted mine behind the terminal cup with good quality double sided foam tape with excellent results....Thanks Al for your quality design and support, I thought my Forte's were special to begin with but now they are just incredible. I would imagine your Forte II design will see similar benefits to what i have heard with my original Forte's and i would encourage anyone thinking about this upgrade to do so.