"Crited" my Chorus I speakers

cablebandit

I am NOT an audiophile.....just a regular guy so please dont beat my post to death. I ordered the crites DIY crossover kit and titanium tweeters for my chorus I speakers. After soldering the new caps I didnt notice any difference. While i do have perfect hearing (according to my Costco hearing screening) I may not have known what to listen for. I didnt listen to them like this but for 3 minutes so maybe thats why or maybe my crossovers were still within spec. At least i know they are quality caps that should give me many years of great sound. Now I HAD to get those tweeters in since I had heard everyone say there was an audible difference in them. Well, there IS. My highs dont seem as harsh. I also noticed a few new...sounds, instruments or whatever in my music. I had read people say they were smoother than the original tweeters. I wasnt quite sure what that meant but now I am. Its like everything blends better. The highs sound like they have more bass or texture or something. Im sorry i dont know the proper terms but the tweeters were an upgrade that i would recommend to even the regular guys. The crossover kits requires a little skill. if you OWN a soldering iron then I think you can do it. Mine could be prettier but they are functional and in the box so its not like anyone can see them anyway. The tweeters were easy to swap. 4 screws to remove it from the box....3 nuts to remove the "horn" from the magnet and then you just swap the diaphragms. VERY easy to do. I recommend the tweeter mod for anyone as its stupid easy and a nice sound upgrade.

I had the same experience when I upgraded the caps in a pair of 78 Herseys. I couldn't hear any difference either. Sometimes the caps you are replacing may not be that bad, but like you said, it can't hurt anything to upgrade. Tweeter upgrades are in the ear of the beholder. I actually like the harsh sound of the stock tweets, but that's just me and the style of music I listen to. Either way, I have always had good luck with Crites. They understand and share our passion, offer quality products and services, and provide prompt customer support.

If your Chorus are not in a home theatre setting, check your TV and see if it has Audio OUT L & R. Plug the Chorus in and let the TV amp drive them, it should have plenty of power for that. If you do have a HT system, you should be able to play your TV sound through your speakers.

Just some thoughts,

W. C.