Please help "dumb" Question time. Help

I want to know is it safe to run out of this amp to a pair of Heresey's then down to a pair of Cornwalls. I know it is a very clean sounding system for live aplications (OK, I admit it, I sing Karaoke through this setup... until later when I will be using this and other Heritage Speakers in a home theatre situation.) FYI <<Only used at home, under controlled situations, and NEVER taken as a system out of my house.>> They are never driven to really extreem levels. Most of the time, the amp is at or less than 1/4-1/2 way turned up. I bought the amp new to match the Mackie 1604 VLZ mixing board for live sound. I have a JVC Karaoke machine, and a Digital delay by Alesis that makes music and vocals so crisp and clear though the system..... it is a 10 on a 1-10 scale. The Amp specs are below.

Used in Stereo mode, I forget in my old age, what happens to the signal and should I be careful to watch anything in particular when (2) 8 ohm speakers are wired in on the same side? <<Heresey/Cornwall right Heresey/Cornwall left.>> (I have the signal currently going from the back of the amp to the Heresy then down to the Cornwall, which any time delay or loss of effeciency going to the Cornwall since it is more efficient SPL wise. IMO it sounds better than the Cornwall up to the Heresy on top.)

FYI...Here are the specs on the Mackie M 800 amp.

The M800 shares most of it's features with the other FR Series amps. Check out the features below.

400 + 400 watts @ 2 ohms stereo

275 + 275 watts @ 4 ohms stereo

140 + 140 watts @ 8 ohms stereo

Ultra-low-noise/ low-distortion design

Low distortion. On all fronts, the FR Series amplifiers rival snooty, creampuff audiophile amps. Total Harmonic Distortion spec (THD) for each member of the FR Series is 0.012% at 8 ohms 20 Hz-20 kHz.

Fast Recovery circuitry reduces distortion at the edge of clipping and beyond

Two 2nd order, 12dB/octave, Bessel low-cut filters with variable frequency from Off to 170Hz help optimize bass output of your sound system

Constant directivity horn EQ/Air EQ with variable frequency from 2k to 6kHz and on/off switch

Limiter with On/Off switch (decreases distortion that may become present when the M800 is driven at max levels without affecting overall sound levels)

XLR thru outputs

1/4" jacks and 5-way binding post outputs

Detented gain controls calibrated in dB & volts

Signal present and OL LEDs

Channel Status LEDs

Easily handles 2-ohm loads all night long

Superior T-Design cooling

5-year transferrable Limited Warranty

If you need any more info go to http://www.mackie.com/Products/FRSeries.asp

I think I am fine, I just wanted to be sure. So far, this setup is clean, clear, loud, and just incredible. It is as if the band is right in front of me as I am singing all my favorite songs...

For those that have gotten through this post FYI, I sing professionally at weddings and National Anthems for Major Sporting events like the Indianapolis Indians AAA baseball, Ice Hockey, Pacers, (Hopefully the Colts someday... very "political") The IHSAA Indiana HS Basketball luncheon, and many Corporate events. And about once a month, I like to go out with friends and sing Karaoke. I got fed up with inferior sounding set ups, and at 40 yrs old said to myself, "What the heck, I will just invest in a system at home." While I understand Karaoke to most people is offensive, (Drunk off key people add nothing to this image..LOL.) Keep in mind it is really 90% about the "average Joe" that wants his spotlight on the stage and share a song with people. 9% should quit and go home, either by sounding horrible or taking themselves way too seriously. And 1%, on the right night... with the right instrumental...Singing in the right key.... when the stars and planets align.....LOL. The singer seems to take it to the level of the origional performer, or yes, sometimes even better. Thats when it is fun, if your lucky enough.

Anyways, thanks for reading the post.

Roger

OK shorter version sorry....

Used in Stereo mode, I forget in my old age, what happens to the signal and should I be careful to watch anything in particular when (2) 8 ohm speakers are wired in on the same side?

Below is the configuration, and the amp info.

<<Heresey/Cornwall right Heresey/Cornwall left.>> (I have the signal currently going from the back of the amp to the Heresy then down to the Cornwall, which any time delay or loss of effeciency going to the Cornwall since it is more efficient SPL wise. IMO it sounds better than the Cornwall up to the Heresy on top.)

FYI...Here are the specs on the Mackie M 800 amp.

The M800 shares most of it's features with the other FR Series amps. Check out the features below.

400 + 400 watts @ 2 ohms stereo

275 + 275 watts @ 4 ohms stereo

140 + 140 watts @ 8 ohms stereo

Ultra-low-noise/ low-distortion design

Low distortion. On all fronts, the FR Series amplifiers rival snooty, creampuff audiophile amps. Total Harmonic Distortion spec (THD) for each member of the FR Series is 0.012% at 8 ohms 20 Hz-20 kHz.

indy, just my feeling but i don't think you'll have any

problem with that amp. looks very high power to me.

guess you're wiring them in series which i think is prefered to parallel, but i'm already way over

my head in electronics knowledge. also think it best to go to heresy 1st. cwm5.gif

don't think it'll hurt that amp. it's not running too hot or anything? or at least maybe someone else w/ more knowledge/experience here will help.

------------------

My Home Systems Page

This message has been edited by boa12 on 04-09-2002 at 02:43 PM

no problemo

avman.

------------------

1-pair klf 30's

c-7 center

ksps-6 surrounds

RSW-15

sony strda-777ES receiver upgraded to v.2.02 including virtual matrix 6.1

sony playstation 2

sony dvpnc 650-v 5-disc dvd/cd/SACD changer

dishnetwork model 6000 HD sat rcvr w/digital off-air tuner

sony kv36xbr450 high-definition 4:3 tv

sharp xv-z1u lcd projector w/84" 4:3 sharp screen

Bello'international Italian-made a/v furniture

panamax max dbs+5 surge protector/power conditioner

monster cable and nxg interconnects/12 gua.speaker wire

KLIPSCH-So Good It Hz!

Thanks. Yes, the amp seems to run cool. no sound difference in clarity whether if it is just the Cornwalls or the Cornwalls and the Heresy's too. (Well, in this case the Heresy's and down to the Cornwalls with a separate 12 gauge speaker wire.) Thanks for your comments, maybe I can get a picture up so you can see the setup soon. I just got a Sony digital camera 3.3 megapixel that records onto CD's. (Really cool)

Now maybe we can get Bob G to shoot towards an open house sometime this spring/summer in Indianapolis, IN at Klipsch to take a tour. PLEASE, hint hint, we would all love to be able to hear the new improved Klipsch Heritage line up, see this new anechoic chamber here in Indianapolis, IN too.

Cross your fingers!

i forget, how does ohm's law work for this again? & in series vs. parallel? i think indy has them in serious which i think is supposed to be better for Current(?).

all i remember is that in parallel voltage stays same/ & current drops & resistance goes up(?). so in series voltage drops & current stays the same & resistance goes down? i now have a headache. cwm5.gif

------------------

My Home Systems Page