Refinishing speakers

Connor

Hello again all

I have heard odds and ends about how to bring back the finish for some of the older models of Klipsch speakers. ALK is mentioned, again! Something about a magic turpentine mixture...

I am no carpenter, and I don't want to take anything apart, but does anyone know of a way to "rub-out" stains or superficial scratches, then re-apply some sort of Minwax-type finish?

Is it as simple as #000 steel wool and turp, then re-apply Walnut (let's say) stain to the veneer? Then finish with furniture oil periodically?

I figure that many of you have done this before....

Thanks in advance.

Connor

Connor,

My favorite way to breathe new life into veneer is to mix three parts tung oil with two parts mineral spirits and 1 part minwax stain.

1. Buff the mixture into the veneer using quick, light strokes in the direction of the grain. Get the egdes, but treat them cautiously.

2. Use #0000 super fine steel wool.

3. Do one side at a time with the working side facing up.

4. Buff with steel wool and stain mixture about 2 minutes per side, let sit 5 minutes, then buff the heck out of the surface with one of your wife's good bath towels.

5. Do not touch the cabinets for at least 24 hours as they will be a little sticky and will pick up fingerprints easily.

6. One application is all it should take.

7. Use common sense. Do a little test patch in an inconspicuous area to make sure it is the result you're looking for (the veneered bottom makes a good test surface).

I did my brother's walnut veneered Cornwalls this way. They went from tired looking to the most beautiful pair of Cornwalls I've ever seen. They look almost like rosewood. Literally perfect.

Warm regards,

Andy

This message has been edited by Klipschguy on 04-09-2002 at 12:02 PM

Andy- How do you sneak your wife's good bath towels back on the rack? Don't they end up smelling a little funny? I can see a potential combustion problem when the towels are combined with those fancy bath candles. Sure would dry you off in a hurry, though.

fini