Short circuit in the system due to 220 voltage input installing in India

sachin

I've been running my Promedia Ultra 5.1 for 3 years (4-5 hours of daily use) and 2.1 for 5 years ( my brother is using it since i got the 5.1). Used cheap 300w stepdown transformer with 2.1 and am using 500w transformer of similar kind with 5.1. Now, i am not saying 'do as i do' because DJK here is right and it is likely not a proper way to do it, but i am satisfied with this workaround.

As for heat, those BASH amplifier plates like i've got in 5.1, are quite notorious for fairly poor layout/design and some parts do tend to everheat, and this is common problem. However, a quiet fan inside of sub, moving air around amp plate made day and night difference and amp is nowhere near as hot any more.

Your model is obviously different and You might need different solution (i agree with transformer replacement advice here being best for safety reasons) , just putting it out there, maybe You'll find it useful.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Danzo,

Thanks for such shedding some light about successful Promedia's use in India. Where could I find a cheap 300w stepdown transformer? Plus, the local technicians don't know much and they suggested that rewinding would solve the problem but it did not. The only way it helped me is that I no longer have to use a converter. In USA I used to play GMX Promedia as long as I was home (loud for probably 4 hours or so) and didn't bother to switch it off completely everytime. Those speakers are the best ones I've ever had. The clarity with volume, as I prefer blasting music, for this much of a price, quite something eh. So I had to get them here no matter what.

So yup, where could I find the stepdown transformer and how much did it cost you? Plus now that I have rewinded the system, will that be a problem or will I have to rewind it back again to 110?

Thanks!

Really Sux. Life was good back then when I could play for hours in a row, seriously for 4-5 in a row at times I'd go to sleep with loud music... lol! Miss those days cause here I just can't be myself without the music, especially in the morning I want that metal kick, now if I want to play for long, I have to keep it down and stick with Norah Jones, she isn't that bad though. Sorry from deviating from the topic but got nostalgic so had to share with my forum friends. Cheers!!

Sorry for not pointing it out, i am from UK and not India. Although mains voltage is similar (¬230V @ 50Hz), i would have no ide how to source the stepdown transformers in India.

I am using this one. Remember, it definitely is not 'best stuff' and does not convert AC frequency and is not likely to be suitable for critical or high powered systems. Does it for my PC speakers though.

Sachin, converter=transformer. As far as I know, Danzo is talking about the external step down transformer that he used for connecting the sub to the power socket. That's what you were using before you got your internal windings altered (right?). As for your overheating, you still need to take care of it in some way. And it might not just be the difference of 10Hz that is causing it. Since you had plugged it into a 220V outlet, it could've done more damage than meets the eye, and even that might be responsible for your overheating. You can add additional fans for better cooling,but the fact remains that you need to get it fixed by someone.

Apologies for the delayed reply. for some reason I never got the notification for the last two posts and was looking forward to it. anyway, you were right PDG, I was using a converter before I got the windings done. I am yet to find out the difference b/w transformer and converter.... maybe they're same only thing the transformer also takes care of the step down. correct me if i'm wrong. btw, Danzo, I've added an external fan and that has been SO helpful but am yet to figure out a way to install a internal fan because the external takes care only from the outside. lets see what can be done, i'll keep you posted, thank you once again and i'm in the process of getting to hifivision.com. made a profile with sach as my username. thank you for the information friends.