RF-82/RF-62 and room size

macol

Hello everyone,

I want to build up a HT in the near future. Movies/music 75 / 25%. Hearing the Klipsch speakers, I fell in love with them. I got to compare with Mission / Momentum / Paradigm / Mordaunt Short / Energy / Polk and still prefered the Klipsch. So I figured it would be a good place to come for some advice. Reading the posts, I saw that the Reference series seems better than Synergy (subjective). Yesterday, I went to Future Shop (i'm in Quebec) and they have this great deal; buy one tower, get one free. RF-82 (899$/pair), RF-62(699$/pair). The guy suggested the Denon AVR991 (on sale 899$) to with it, it's the best they carry. I read on the posts that other brand names of amps sounded probably better. I think both pair sounded amazing with it though. The 82's have a little something more IMO. My plan is to buy front towers+ receiver/amp and then eventually add sub/center/surrounds. I'm living in a condo with a relatively small semi-open living room (12x10) with ceiling 9'. I will probably get a bigger place in 2-3 years since i'm still a university student.

So my questions are:

1. Should I go with the RF82 or RF62 considering my room size? I couldn't find any info on suggested room size. My choice tends to go with the 82's but fear it will be to big! Btw those are the Reference IV series.

2. Is the Denon 991 a good choice? In an another shop they suggested the Denon AVR2311 or 3311.

Thanks for the advice

I have until thursday to make a choice!

Marc

• Moderators

Welcome to the forums.

Since you are planning for long term, your current room size doesn't matter. I would get the RF-82's over the RF-62's.

I'm not familiar with Denon receivers so I cannot comment on those. Do as much research as you can, that way when you make your decision, it will be the right decision with no regrets.

3 weeks ago I was in future shop during their VIP sale when the RF-82's were on for $499.99 each and managed to talk them down to a pair of the RF-82's for $699.99 + tax.. after the $7 BC environmental fee I was out the door at around $791 for the two RF-82's. I can't comment on the RF-82 vs RF-62 but for me the foot print size isn't that much bigger but the sound was so I opted for the RF-82's. I would seriously go in and haggle with them. Also keep in mind that boxing day is coming and last year the 82's were a door crasher for $399.99 each. I would hold of if you don't like to haggle and at least wait for our boxing day sales because with the new MKII's out I have a feeling those MKI"s that future shop is still selling will be slashed down to very good prices.

Not sure if it would help but I would be more then willing to take a scan of my receipt and send it to you if you think taking it in would help you score my $699.99 pair price.

Hey,

Thanks alot for the advice. I will go with the 82s.

As for the price, I just found out that Gentec-Intl (Klipsch canadian distributor) suggest a retail price of 698$(ea.); 200$ less than FS price! I will try to haggle with this argument. Mike, if you don't mind sending me a scan of your receipt, I think that might be of another argument. I'd appreciate that very much!

I'll let you guys know how it went...

Marc

Also forgot to mention that from what I read over at AVS Forum, the 991 is the consumer friendly version of the 3311.. the 3311 has pre-outs for adding an external amp down the road where the 991 does not. Also, if buying the 991 I would reccomend buying it from Costco if you have a card there. They offer a 90 day return window and a 2 yr warranty extension for no extra cost whereas FS only gives you 30 days and then you have to deal with the manufactureer if any problems come up after that 30 days. Hop that helps a lilltle...

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to link to another forum but you can find more info on the 991/3311 similarities/differences over at AVS Forum. Just look in the audio section under amps/receivers

i live in an apt and have rf-3's the older model 82's and they are great. They do not sound overbearing at all for the space. I would not get a sub being in a condo as you will piss your neighbors off, the 82's should present a stern enough sound stage that you dont need a sub, you will hit the low frequencies without issue it just wont rumble like a sub which in your case is a good thing. For the price you are talkingh for that denon amp, youd be better off getting some emotiva gear. I say that because 900 for a denon receiver is alot, denon is a great brand but having seperates is much better. Amps dont really get outdated, their technology can stay good for 10-20 years. Processors or the processing part of your receiver get outdated within a couple of years. Once that happens and you want to update, you kinda have to get rid of your receiver and buy a new one or purchase a processor and use the bypass on the receiver if it has that function. This method is more expensive than just buying a processor but the power output of the amp is much better as well as the quality and the processor can be replaced in the future if need be. I have the xpa-5 and umc-1 and the umc-1 is a little buggy, it doesnt shutdown completely sometimes 95% of the time it does and they just released a firmware fix for it and there are some other little things like it doesnt recognize my dvd player if its on sometimes, 95% of the time it works fine. For the price, you can't beat it and is the main reason why i went with emo. Many forum users here have emo gear and praise it much like i do. I know some people on here have returned their UMC-1's and gone with a different brand because of some of the bugs but i like many keep it and know that evetnually they will work the kinks out. Emotiva is very concerned with their customer satisfaction which makes them a great boutique audio company. ON another note, i dont know anyone here who has returned an amp of their in exchange for something else.

You are prob gonna ask if you need all the power ion these power amps, well, overhead (having more power than you need) is a good thing because it ensures your stuff sound good at higher volumes and doesnt distort. When you reach higher levels, the amp is strained more and may distort when its power potenatial is peaking. are you going to be putting 125 watts to your 82's in a condo, probably not. Klipsch has very high sensivity so not much power is required to push them. I got the xpa-5 because i wanted overhead and if i ever switched speaker brands and went with something with lower sensitvity, i wanted to make sure i had power to push them properly. Another thing to ask is if you want a 7.1 or 5.1 in the end. The majority of audio tracks produced for movies these days is still in 5.1 so you dont really need more than 5 channels of sound. Good thing is that the emo processor is a 7.1 and you can always add a smaller power amp later to push your surround speakers which typcially dont chew through all that much power. This is a system you can grow into and there are a bunch of ways you can work it.

I hope my input helped!

The UMC-1 A/V Processor

http://emotiva.com/umc1.shtm

the XPA-5 Power amp 5 x 200 watts per channel at 8 ohms

http://emotiva.com/shop/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=4

or the UPA-5 power amp 5 x 125 watts per channel at 8 ohms

http://emotiva.com/shop/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=80

or the UPA-7 power amp 7 x 125 watts per channel at 8 ohms

http://emotiva.com/shop/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=32

I have to say that I did my research and was very interested in the Emotiva products. I have read many good things about their products, and the look is amazing. I know that having separates is the best...The thing is, I live in Canada and with the shipping charges, the exchange, brokerage fees, duty...the price doesn't seem so interesting. (btw 900$ is Canadian funds, i know its a bit expensive is USD). So for now I'd rather go with some shops in town. Eventually, I will probably add an amp for fronts and Emotiva will probably be my choice. Tthanks alot for your input!

Yep.. We Canadians pay a premium for electronics. Most yankees are shocked when I tell them what some of our prices are. The problem with Emotiva, for us Canadians, is that if ever warranty service is needed then we are on the hook for shipping both ways and what ever duty, taxes, custom fees come into play as well. If you are able to get a good model that lasts a good many years then it's a great choice, but if you get a lemon then you might end up shelling out way more then you might have spent buying locally..a lot more!

Klipsch are so efficient I doubt most living rooms even need an ext amp anyway.. For you being in a condo I have to be honest and say any external am is over kill and the money spent on one would be better off spent else where.. Like maybe a meet and greet dinner party for your neighbors so whenthey hear your new RF-82's they don't call the mounties..lol

Allright guys I went the store and did the haggle.

Since there are 2 Klipsch retailers, I went to both to get a deal.

I'm not sure I can tell the deal prices, but I'll tell the overall price(CAD not USD).

Dumoulin (Audiotronic): OPTION 1: RF-82 II (pair - listed 1500$) and Denon AVR3311Ci(listed 1349$) - 2000$. OPTION 2: Waiting for a price on the RF-82. (tried a price match with FutureShop's sale) Btw the guy told me that they have the exclusive on the new generation for 3 years. So no RF-82 II at FS for a while.

Future Shop; tried all I could to get down the price to 699$. IMPOSSIBLE!. Even the VIP argument did not work since they have a special agreement with Klipsch for that specific day. I even presented the suggested retail price by Gentec-Intl (Canadian distributor) which is at 698$. NOTHING! So final price for RF-82 and Denon 991(extended warranty 5years) - 1849$

I have to say that for 150$ ...i might go with the better AVR and the new generation...

What do you think?

Allright guys I went the store and did the haggle. Since there are 2 Klipsch retailers, I went to both to get a deal. I'm not sure I can tell the deal prices, but I'll tell the overall price(CAD not USD). Dumoulin (Audiotronic): OPTION 1: RF-82 II (pair - listed 1500$) and Denon AVR3311Ci(listed 1349$) - 2000$. OPTION 2: Waiting for a price on the RF-82. (tried a price match with FutureShop's sale) Btw the guy told me that they have the exclusive on the new generation for 3 years. So no RF-82 II at FS for a while. Future Shop; tried all I could to get down the price to 699$. IMPOSSIBLE!. Even the VIP argument did not work since they have a special agreement with Klipsch for that specific day. I even presented the suggested retail price by Gentec-Intl (Canadian distributor) which is at 698$. NOTHING! So final price for RF-82 and Denon 991(extended warranty 5years) - 1849$ I have to say that for 150$ ...i might go with the better AVR and the new generation... What do you think?

Macol,

Welcome to The Forums!

If I am reading this right; you can get 82s and the receiver for $1849, or the same receiver and the 82 IIs for $150 more?

If that is correct; I would get the 82 IIs as resale value is likely to stay higher for a longer time.

I am not sure about the differences in the speakers themselves; but you can check the Klipsch specs on the main site.

By all accounts the new "II" line is excellent.

Good Luck.

Oh well....too late! Just went to Dumoulin and bought the RF-82 II and Denon AVR3311Ci!! They did not have the speakers in stock, so I'll have to wait a bit until I can plug it in... Thanks all for your help!

Well..... Since you have treated yourself to an early Xmas gift; please be sure to post some pics of your setup when they arrive....

We like pics! [:D]

Congrats!