Chorus II repair guidance?

Vbob

I'm new to the forum and am sure this has been asked before so bear with me. I am the only owner of my Chorus II speakers and nothing has compared to them yet.

Sad to say that during a recent move:

1. the passive radiator got a slight tear in the back on 1 speaker and the cones were slightly pushed in a bit on both (by little tikes).

2. One of the midranges horns sounds shot.

3. On one of them the speakers terminals also broke in the move.

Can someone point me in the right direction what I can do to save these and get them up and running 100% again? I have read comments and i guess Klipsch has no replacement parts anymore. Thank you!

Bob

Vbob,

Welcome to the forum, neighbor.

Chorus II's are awesome speakers and definitely worth saving.

1. the passive radiator got a slight tear in the back on 1 speaker and the cones were slightly pushed in a bit on both (by little tikes).

Those little buggers. If only a slight tear, they should be easily repairable. As far as being pushed in(dust caps I assume), try a vacuum cleaner with a hose attachment. Many hear on the forum have used that method with success.

2. One of the midranges horns sounds shot.

Bob Crites here on the forum could fix you up just fine for reasonable $$$.

http://www.critesspeakers.com/klipsch_midrange.html

My suggestion would be for you to put a "Needed: Chorus II passive radiator and speaker terminals" ad in the Garage Sale section of the forum being very specific and where you are located.

You definitely came to the right place for help and maybe make a few new friends.

Good luck,

Bill

PS I may have a positive(red) binding post to fit your Chorus II's. Send me a PM. I will search for it.

Hello: if you could post some pictures of the damaged passive and your broken terminals that would help. Tears in your paper cones can easily be repared with some white or yellow wood glue. Use just enough to wet the edges of the tear. A small piece of masking tape on the back side of the cone to hold everything in place while the glue set will keep things looking neat from the outside. wood glue will set in 30 minutes. As for your comment of cones being slightly pushed in on both you are going to have to be more specific. I don't know if you are referring to the dust caps of the bass drivers (on the front of the cabinet). Dented dust caps on the rear passive radiators will have zero effect on the performance of the passive so unless you are concerned with the visual effect just ignor any dents there.

With respect to the mid range driver, remove it from the cabinet and check the wiring is connected. If that is ok then remove the driver (make note of the wire polarity) and test the VC of the horn with a household battery 1.5 or 9 volt is fine. with a couple of small wires connect the battery to the leads on the mid driver (polarity does not matter). If you hear a noise from the speaker when you connect the battery the voice coil is likely fine and the issue is either in the wiring or the crossover.

Start with the above and see how things go and do try to post a few pictures. I am sure that someone here can help you to get back up and running. If the mid problems turns out to be a dead voice coil (not all that likely) then you would have to buy a new set of diaphragms from Bob Crites. You can no longer buy new replacements of the stock diaphragms in your mids so a new matched set will be required. Let us know how this goes. Regards Moray James.

To everyone that replied; thanks for the direction and quick replies. I will get some pictures taken and posted in the next day or so. I am not much of a technical/mechanical person so I'll wait til I get the pics up before attempting to repair or glue the passive.

Yes its the dust covers on the passive so I'm glad to know I really dont have to worry too much about those.

I'll test the mid and see what happens.

Glad to be a part of the forum and actually didnt realize the value my Chorus II's still had. I was so close to scrapping them but something kept telling me I would be crazy to do that. Glad I found this forum!

Bob Valdez

To everyone that replied; thanks for the direction and quick replies. I will get some pictures taken and posted in the next day or so. I am not much of a technical/mechanical person so I'll wait til I get the pics up before attempting to repair or glue the passive.

Yes its the dust covers on the passive so I'm glad to know I really dont have to worry too much about those.

I'll test the mid and see what happens.

Glad to be a part of the forum and actually didnt realize the value my Chorus II's still had. I was so close to scrapping them but something kept telling me I would be crazy to do that. Glad I found this forum!

Bob Valdez

We are glad to have you.

I believe there are some things you could do down the road to make your speakers sound even better.

(Replacing the capacitors in the Xovers and then there are titanium tweeters.....)

Here you can also find how to refinish the cabinets and even replace the grill cloth.

The Garage Sale section is a great resource for finding parts and expanding/ upgrading.....

Yeah; do NOT scrap the Chorus'; they are some of the finest sounding speakers around......

This place is almost like family.... So many cool people; some of whom I have met; some I still hope to someday.

So.... stick around the Forum awhile.... You might be surprised......