RF-7II vs. Classic RF-7

orrb_05

So - I did a side by side on these at the retailer thru the same gear - and for the price I went with the Dark Cherry Classic RF-7s. I got the Classics for $2k less than the RF-7IIIs. I had to take the Classics because there just wasn't enough performnace-to-dollar differential to justify the extra $$$. I just wish the RF-7IIs were not so damn expensive. I remember buying a pair of Chorus II back in '95 and I only paid $1k - I really wish I'd have kept those - I wish I'd kept my Cherry RF-7s as well. I go through gear way too fast.

At Stereo West in Omaha, NE. They had a special buy of Classics that they just got a month ago. They were not there when I initially went in to inquire abot the RF-7II. But when I went back this week I was shown the Classics. They were B-stock directly from Klipsch and were suppose to have some type of cosmetic flaw - I was able to look them over and could not find anything - I think I got a pretty good deal, as they come with the original factory waranty as well.

Congratulations! It appears you have an awesome setup. [Y]

Did you get the RC-7 in the deal or did you already have it? Fwiw, I've basically had what's in my sig for 8 years and haven't felt the need to upgrade (although always considering the possibility;). I too am curious what others will find in the new RF-7II/RC-64II front soundstage...I'm real curious if there is any compatibility with the original RF-7s and the new RC-64II.

I picked the RC-7 up off of Audiogon. It wa in perfect condition other than one of the drivers had a wrinkle in cerametallic (whatever Klipsch calls it). But, the seller ordered a replacement driver from Klipsch for me - I just need to install it - basically just cosmetics. I also got a DEAD-MINT pair of RB-5 in Mahogany off EBay. I almost didn't buy the RF-7s and was going to run the RB-5s for mains. I had an entire Refernce set-up back in '04-'06 all in Cherry - RF-7 - RC-7 - RB-5 and a RSW-12. I kick myself for ever getting rid of that set. I went thru a stage where I experimented with Polk's LSi series - but they are 4 ohm and a pain to drive - they are way too laid back anyway.

I won't go RF-7II or RC-64II unless the prices come down. At over $3k for the RF-7II and over $1200 for the RC-64II that's just wasy too high right now.

I would like to try some RF-7s for my rears in place of the RBs - and I am looking for some Classic RF-5 in Dark Cherry. If I find those they will replace the RBs for surrounds. Some may feel that's over kill, but I listen to lots of DVD-Audio in muti-channel stereo.

..I would like to try some RF-7s for my rears in place of the RBs - and I am looking for some Classic RF-5 in Dark Cherry. If I find those they will replace the RBs for surrounds. Some may feel that's over kill, but I listen to lots of DVD-Audio in muti-channel stereo.

I don't listen to any multichannel stereo, but can dig DVD-A/SACD because that is where most of my listening pleasure occurs. I also toyed with replacing my RF-3s with the 5s but didn't notice that much of a difference in the store...

• 5 weeks later...

Can't speak on rf7 classics, but I just took delivery of 2 RF-7 II's and an RC-64 II and I must say I am amazed at the sound. The bass, the clarity, the efficiency, the look, the horns, etc. Everything about them screams quality. Not harsh at all. Will post pics later today...