Forte info please

miker

I recently inherited a set of Fortes from my unncle, and while I know that these were top of the line for their time I know nothing about them. The info on the sticker on the backs contains the following info:

TYPE FOR WO RV

Serials: 8771269 and 8771270

Can anyone shed some light on these as to what generation, years produced, power and frequency ratings etc...

Also I am going to se them as my mains in the home theater to replace my Cerwin Vega AT-100's. What would be the best matched sub and center channel?

Any and all info would be greatly appreciated.Thanks

miker

Welcome to the Klipsch Club. You have the original Forte's in Walnut Oil, manufactured in 1987. Klipsch doesn't list a preferred center for these, but you could use an Academy Center, they're hard to find and costly. Another Forte would be a perfect match as center. A Quartet may also work for center. Most of the Heritage line would work as rears, plus you may get good results with RS-3 or RS-7 surround speakers. Others here will have good suggestions as well.

FREQUENCY RESPONSE: 32Hz-20kHz±3dB

SENSITIVITY: 98dB @ 1watt/1meter

POWER HANDLING: 100 watts maximum continuous (500 watts peak)

NOMINAL IMPEDANCE: 8 ohms

ENCLOSURE TYPE: Bass reflex via passive radiator

TWEETER: K-75-K 1" (2.54cm) Phenolic diaphragm compression driver

HIGH FREQUENCY HORN: 90°x40° Exponential Horn

HIGH FREQUENCY CROSSOVER: 6000Hz

MIDRANGE: K-53-K 1.5" (3.81cm) Phenolic diaphragm compression driver

MID-FREQUENCY HORN: 90°x40° Exponential Horn

MID-FREQUENCY CROSSOVER: 700Hz

WOOFER: K-23 12" (30.48cm) Fiber-composite cone active / KD-13 12" (30.48cm)Fiber-composite cone passive

DIMENSIONS: 35.4" (89.92cm) x 16.5" (41.91cm) x 12" (30.48cm)

WEIGHT: 56 lbs. (25.4kg)

ENCLOSURE MATERIAL: Medium density fiberboard construction (MDF)

FINISHES: Walnut Oil, Walnut Lacquer, Oak Oil, Oak Lacquer, Finished Black

YEARS BUILT: 1985 - 1989

MSRP: $1086 pair (Black) / $1180 pair (Walnut or Oak Oil) / $1238 pair (Walnut or Oak Lacquer)

Whew, I'm tired now!

Wes

------------------

"KLIPSCH IS MUSIC"f>

This message has been edited by ShapeShifter on 04-10-2002 at 06:02 PM

Miker-Great speakers. I love mine. Wes is correct on the center match.

If you cannot make those work, you may be able to get by using a KV3 or KV4 center channel, possibly even a KLF-C7. None of them are made anymore, but are more readily available at better prices than the Academy.

You'll find that the bass is very strong on these, so you'll need a robust sub if you decide to get one. The Klipsch Reference series would make a nice match. Also, the SVS subs would work well.

Doug

------------------

My System

Miker-

Those are great speakers. I certainly love my Forte II's which are basically the same as yours, but with a 15" passive driver in the back instead of your 12". Shape and Doug are correct about the matching center channel. I have used all three; KV-3, KV-4, and Academy. If you can find it, the Academy is the way to go. It is a perfect match across the front.

Otherwise, it would be a tough choice between the KV-4 and the KV-3. The -3's are more readily available on eBay than the -4, and usually go for about $150-200. KV-4s can be $300-400. The KV-4 is brighter than the -3, as it was made for the Epic series. The -3 was made for the KG series. Overall, I think I would take the -3 over the -4. I used the -3 in my system for almost 8 years and enjoyed it very much. I upgraded to the -4 and used it for about a year, and when I got my Academy, it was true love. Only then did I realize what was missing (not a lot, but noticable) from the KV-3 and how bright the KV-4 is (again, not a lot, but noticable).

If you have a bachelor pad or an accepting wife/girlfriend, you could use another Forte or a Quartet, the Forte's little brother, as a center. However, you have to be careful as the Forte is not video-shielded. And it's a big speaker to hang from the wall/ceiling. But I can imagine it sounds great. I am very pleased with my Academy, so I don't see the need to annoy the wife anymore than she already is.

As far as subs, while having never heard SVS, they have great reviews. I have the Paradigm PW2200 and it is an outstanding sub for the money. For about $650-750 you get a 250W powered sub that hits deep bottoms very easily, yet is very musical. If you do a search here, there should be a thread that discusses measured output for that sub; I don't remember the stats right off, but I think you can get to 20-25Hz with good output very easily. You certainly wouldn't go wrong with the 2200.

Enjoy!