La Scala Specs

SCOOTERDOG

I see we have a new home page showing the Heritage Series. As a long time proud owner of Klipsch

La Scala's ( and other Klipsch) I noticed the new specs show the La Scala's bass response is only down to 53 Hz's. I'm confused because the specs on mine show the bass response down to 45Hz's. Has Klipsch changed something? Am I missing something here? Any response would be nice.

------------------

Denon AVR 3801

Onkyo M504 Power Amp driving the mains

Techenique A-10 DVD Audio/Video Player

Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/Dvd Player

Dish Network Dolby Digital Sat receiver

Klipsch La Scala ( Mains)

Klipsch RFC5 Center

Klipsch RSS6 Surround Side

Klipsch RSS .5 Back surround

Klipsch KSW 12 Subwoofer

My guess is that when origionally measured, they were wrong, and the new numbers are more accurate. they may have also changed their test criteria, I think that is the most likely. I do not see them making a new speaker that is worse than the old one. Just my best guess.

------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Turntable: Technics SL-J3 with Audio-Technica TR485U

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

I don't think you're missing much.

I've always wondered about the testing conditions and protocol, generally, of the speakers.

I harp on this a bit. The AES article on the Jubilee shows rather bass poor response of the original K-Horn in an outdoor corner. But other spec sheets show flat response for the K-Horn down to the bottom. One can only guess is that some very good curves result from room effects; and those in a favorable room.

There is a 1965 AES preprint on the LaScala compared to the K-Horn. Curves look very favorable for both. One has to wonder about the conditions of that test too.

I don't mean to say that Klipsch is fudging data. If the units are meant to be used in a room -- and they are -- room response, and corner placement, are ligit.

So, I conclude that the alteration of the claimed response may be the result of new test conditions, or an updated driver. Of course we'd love to know what they are so we can re create them in our home.

Gil