New Chorus II owner

lobster999

Hey guys...i'm new to the klipsch club but loving it. I just picked up a pair of black chorus II speakers and have been loving them. I had been using Zu druids before these and I have to say I think I prefer the Chorus II speakers to them. Certainly a different presentation.

So here is my question of you guys. I have dedicated room which is a good thing, but it is 13x13 with 8 foot ceilings which is a bad thing. You can see a diagram of my room at the link below. I currently have the klipsch speakers placed in a 45 degree angle in the corners along the right wall in the diagram with my seating position in front of the hallway opening. Is this the best layout or should I rotate the speakers into different corners? My thoughts were that having the hall way opening behind my listening seat might help with some of the inherent issues with square rooms. I do have 6 GIK 242 (2 inch acoustic panels) and 2 GIK 244 (4 inch acoustic panels) to use as needed. Any thoughts?

Posted Image

Congrats on your recent aquisition, and welcome to the forum!

I would follow the traditional Klipsch suggestions on placement and work from there, which seems like what your doing. Try and place them (or orient your listening position) so the speakers are not directly facing you. The point where the on-axis lines intersect should ideally be a couple feet in front of your primary listening spot. That approach has worked very well in my similarly sized room using forte ii's. Fine tune your toe-in and proximity to the corners for the best bass/imaging.

That opening will rob some bass. But with the speakers on the opposite wall, that room will be drenched in Klipshy goodness too.

I would rotate the Chorus II's to the left wall which also helps with imaging because obviously there will be nothing in between the speakers to alter the image with the opening there. Also by moving your chair, loveseat or couch to the right wall it will help reinforce the bass which will even out the Chorus II dramatically due to its extremely flat response. The closer you move your seat to the right wall the punchier the bass will become. Just my 2 cents but give it a try.

Congrats on a nice speaker!

Welcome to the Klipsch club! Interesting that you prefer the Chorus II to the Druids. I was all set to order a pair of the Zu Omens during the intro sale when I scored a pair of Chorus I's. They just keep growing on me. I've never had a chance to listen to any of the Zu speakers. What is the difference between the sound of the Druids and the Chorus II's?

What is the difference between the sound of the Druids and the Chorus II's?

I heard the druids a couple times. They have the dynamic impact of high efficiency speakers, which is impressive, particularly to the uninitiated, but Klipsch Heritage walk all over them for over-all, top to bottom response. The druids probably are a friendlier load than Klipsch for the micro-watt SET dudes. I didn't find them objectionable really (they have dynamics and punch, for sure), just not quite as flat and neutral as the Heritage I use to at home (forte II, very similar to Chorus II).

They are both very dynamic speakers, but I have to give the edge in dynamics to the Klipsch speakers. The Klipsch perform quite a bit better in regards to bass, detail, and clarity. Imaging seems better on the Klipsch as well. I'd say I get a larger sound stage, but that is probably just due to the speakers being placed wider apart in order to be in the corners but it is still an advantage of the Klipsch speakers in my room. The Druids do beat the Chorus on vocals and give a more warm intimate vibe on small scale recordings (little girl with guitar type recordings). The Druids probably handle poor recordings a little better. The Druids also have a thicker tone if that makes since, especially with electric guitars, but the Chorus has more detail and handles transients better.

Throw on something large like Gordon Goodwin's Big Phat Band, Wagner, or Mastodon and the advantages become quite apparent with the Chorus IIs. The Klipsch speakers just put out a bigger and more fun sound. I'm some what surprised that I don't notice any coherency issues going from essentially a single driver design to a 3 way design, but that probably just means my novice ears aren't as susceptible to it. That's a good thing in my book...The Druids are now handling family room duty and my kids love that.

I'm some what surprised that I don't notice any coherency issues going from essentially a single driver design to a 3 way design, but that probably just means my novice ears aren't as susceptible to it. That's a good thing in my book...

I don't think it's your novice ears. Do you have any speakers w/ crossover points in the 1.5 to 2 khz area? Compare those to the druids or klipsch and there is more chance you'll pick up on crossover induced misbehavior. Those squakers handle everything from 600 to 6000 hz, with crossover points well outside of our hearing's most sensitive range. PWK said that music lives in the midrange, and the Chorus / forte's really nailed it.

First time I heard the druids was at RMAF a couple years ago. After several rooms of low sensitivity/high power systems, the druids stood out with their dynamics, that kick that only high sensitivity provides. It was like a breath of fresh air. They were playing some Jaco-esque, rippin' bass jam, which from your own description probably played to their strengths. I liked 'em. A speaker with character, to be sure, but at least it is an engaging, colorful character.