Prepurchase question

fifteen20s

I have a question I would like to ask before I make a purchase.

I currently have a pair of RF-62II’s and a RC-52II.

I am about to add rear speakers to my set up. I kind of wish I had purchased RF-82II front speakers and have considered purchasing the 82’s and using my 62’s for rears. I know that rear speakers do not need to be as powerful as that but I do listen to a lot of music.

Having never heard RS-62II speakers would this set up work ok or would I be better off with a pair of rear surrounds and keeping the RF-62II’s up front?

My logic is I’m going to spend $1200ish anyway so why not get the larger floor stand speakers? I do however realize that size isn’t everything and all said and done I may have been better off with RS rear speakers.

Couple of things.

First, what are you ultimately trying to accomplish by adding two rear speakers? Are you using an amp or are you going to just run the whole thing off an ARV? Do you just want some surround sound for movies or do you want to make your ears bleed with 5 channel stereo at reference levels? I would go with towers in the rear if I could and I am 50/50 HT / Music.

I have never heard RS-xx or any 'surround' speakers that can hold a candle to full range towers in the rear. If aesthetics / space / room considerations factor in or you otherwise decide to go with RS surrounds though, I personally felt the RS-52's were every bit as good as the RS-62's in a side-by-side comparison and ended up getting the discontinued RS-52I's over the RS-52II's or RS-62II's because I didn't care for the look of the newer RS-II's with the rounded grills and only paid $600 vs $1200 for the RS-62I!.

It's a matter of preference and primary usage, but if your room and bank account has the space, I would imagine you'd be VERY happy with the 82s up front and the 62s in the rear. They will sound great together for home theater, and the 82s will give you a wider range of sound for 2-channel stereo music. If you are considering bipole surrounds for HT purposes, you'd probably be happy with that set up too. The one issue you might have with the 82s is your center channel may get washed out some by your fronts for HT usage. You could always upgrage that in the future and put the RC-52 in the rear for 6.1 surround.

If it were me and it wasn't for a dedicated theater room, I'd go for the 82s definately! A dedicated theater room might benefit just as much from some RS-52s, however.

Good luck!

Jason

Thanks for the replys.

"what are you ultimately trying to accomplish" -- my goal is to obtain the best sound quality possible

"Are you using an amp or are you going to just run the whole thing off an ARV" --- I have a AVR atm but have money socked away to upgrade to a pre/pro and amp. I am looking at the Integra 80.2 / 70.1 combo

"Do you just want some surround sound for movies or do you want to make your ears bleed with 5 channel stereo at reference levels" ---- I rarely play my system overly loud but expect the ability to be there.

Welcome to the Klipsch Forum Fifteen20s, we're glad you're here.

Get the 82's for the mains, you'll be glad you did and you'll love them for 2 channel music!

Congratulations on the (soon to be) new set up and keep us posted,

Dennie

Thanks for the replys.

"what are you ultimately trying to accomplish" -- my goal is to obtain the best sound quality possible

"Are you using an amp or are you going to just run the whole thing off an ARV" --- I have a AVR atm but have money socked away to upgrade to a pre/pro and amp. I am looking at the Integra 80.2 / 70.1 combo

"Do you just want some surround sound for movies or do you want to make your ears bleed with 5 channel stereo at reference levels" ---- I rarely play my system overly loud but expect the ability to be there.

If that is the case, go with the RF-82II towers up front. I absolutely love my RF-83's, they sounded much more life-like compared to the 63's when I demo'ed mine, especially when you throw an amp into the mix. That is also a good idea to add a RC-62 center and move the RC-52 to the rear.

Sweet! They look great. Congratulations, I bet they sound fantastic!

Get them out in front of the TV stand. Actually, if you can spread them out more and toe them in, I think you'll be happier with the sound. Oh, I just noticed the door. Darn it! Switch the room around! LOL

Hang some art or rugs on the wall for now, to cut down on the echo.

There are others that are more knowledgeable than me about acoustic treatments, so I'll let them chime in.

I just wanted to say "YOU SUCK"! [Y] Those are beautiful speakers and I know your thrilled!

Thanks for the pictures!

Dennie

Those do look great! I think you made the right choice looking at your room!

Here's an idea...take the doors off your closet and inset your TV into the empty closet (who needs storage space anyways?). Then you could move the speakers forward and toe them in a bit. You also gain some floor space...

Yeah, hang some canvased art is an easy and nice way to go. You can also buy some accoustic treatments for $20-$200 per piece, but they just look like square seat cushions on your wall and you'll probably hang them in the same place you would have put some abstract art thingy. I'm with Dennie in that there are people that know a lot more about acoustic treatment than I.

I too like the closet idea for the TV. Get your mains as far apart as you can and toe them in. Then set your rears just behind you on either side of the listening position in front of the door. How does that sub sound up against the crawlspace door? If it is hollow core I bet you get a lot of resonance. If so, try moving it to either a hard corner or just inside the right or left speaker. Corners give you better low end but moving them one way or another along the wall gives you smoother bass. Heck, you might even like it right next to the couch. Play it right where your listening position is and then crawl around the walls. Wherever the bass sounds the best, that is where your sub should go. Oh, and the center might sound a bit more natural, and even if it is underneath the TV instead of on top.

Nice setup!