What is the impedance of older "mid t" driver ?

k2dx

I am still looking for a "mid t" driver and 4401 tweeter horn to restore my '54 k-horn to it's original configuration. I haven't received an answer from customer support yet with an answer as to what impedance the original tweeter driver, a mid t, was. I believe it was 16 0hms, as the midrange driver is 16 ohms. The crossover is the original 500/5000. The tweeter was replaced with a newer 77, 8 ohms. The crossover should have the load impedance it was designed for to maintain the proper crossover frequency.

Can anyone answer ????

(Any one have a correct 4401/mid t available?)

Nope Malcolm. The 4401/Mid-T in my Belle as well as the spare pair I have sitting on the 'spares' shelf at home are all labeled 'eight ohms'.....yes, written out like that. I could swear that the ones in my K-horn, the originals, were also 8 ohms because I recall thinking it odd that the woofer and midrange were 16 ohm and the tweet was 8 ohms.

I see you two are forcing me to peel into the Khorns this weekend to verify! They are mounted in the mouth of the mid-horn and thus require me to get in there.

Stay tuned.

------------------

Ed

Thanks guys. I'll stay tuned. I have found a mid t driver, the seller says 12 ohms. Now I know that is

the DC resistance of a 16 ohm driver, I also know where there are a pair of 4401 horns. I would think the schematic of the 500/5000 would call out the impedance of the driver. (If the schematic exists!)

Is there such a thing as an owner's manual?

Fred

K58....I replaced the 'stock components' in my '74 center Belle with the same components in my '54 Khorns to more sonically match across the front soundstage. In my case that would be a Stephens Trusonic, University SAHF Mid driver mated to Altec 511B horn and the 4401/Mid-T tweet. Sorry to have thrown confusion into the mix.

------------------

Ed

I Just looked at My (just picked up today) 51 khorn and the mid-t tweeter says 12 ohms.I was told the speaker was totally stock and had never been taken apart or repaired.I cant wait to compare this tweeter to the 59 t-35.

This message has been edited by khorn58 on 04-15-2002 at 10:46 AM