LaScala Disasembly

Taz

Base is out on one of my LaScala's. Open short coming from inside enclosure. What is best way to get to the base speaker to test, or look for loose wire?

once you can get to the woofer terminals, using a multimetter, you should get a DCR of about 3.4 ohms. sometimes corrosion on conection points will cause an open condition. most likely, you could have an open voice coil. check your fuses if you have one piece metal trim versions or two piece metal trim versions.

I would like to thank both of you Gentlemen for the advise you have given. I relayed this to my son, where the speakers are. He got the problem child apart. Said it looked like it had been apart before as it was glued together with about 3 inches of silicone. Found a wire loose from the solder. Tested the voice coil, said it was a little over 3 ohms and planed to resolder. Said it had only been held by about 1/16 of an inch when last soldered. Plenty of slack in the wire to solder more securely.

John